PDA

View Full Version : Experience with NIK Filters in PS?

John Stuelpnagel
02-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Hi,
Does anyone use the NIK filter plug-ins for PS? I am relatively new to PS and to the NIK filters. I have been experimenting with Detail Extractor, Tonal Contrast and Pre-Sizing and Post-Sizing Sharpening. I have been using settings like, 4-8% for Detail Extractor, 5%/15%/5% for Tonal Contrast, and 25-35% for the Sharpening filters. However, I think that I may be overdoing it, either in combination or individually, as the images sometimes look artificial or blocky. I would be very interested in others' experiences with these filters and the settings that they have found useful. Additionally, has anyone compared the NIK Sharpening to the SmartSharpen filter in PS? Which do you prefer?
Thanks!

Diane Miller
02-23-2014, 07:27 PM
I use most of the Nik filters and really like them. Detail Extractor is a favorite. But settings vary with each image. Things will often look good at first then the next day it may look overdone (or the converse). It's all experience and learning to compare.

Sharpening is a bit of a pie in the sky thing, for me. It can compensate for some issues, such as losses in resizing, and it is important in those cases, but you can't really improve an image that is soft in the first place. But I have found both SS and Nik's sharpeners to be roughly comparable. Sometimes one will work slightly better than the other. The same with Nik's Dfine (noise reduction) vs Neat Image vs others.

Don Lacy
02-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Hi john. I use Niks filters on most of my landscape images and some of my other image, I find the setting to be to strong for my taste and I will often use the opacity slider on the layer to fine tune the effect. I also rarely if ever apply a filter to the whole image again I will use the masking feature and paint in the effect only where I want it and never on any OOF areas or areas of solid color as the filters will often enhance noise and pull detail where I do not want it.

John Stuelpnagel
02-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Hi john. I use Niks filters on most of my landscape images and some of my other image, I find the setting to be to strong for my taste and I will often use the opacity slider on the layer to fine tune the effect. I also rarely if ever apply a filter to the whole image again I will use the masking feature and paint in the effect only where I want it and never on any OOF areas or areas of solid color as the filters will often enhance noise and pull detail where I do not want it.

Thanks Don! That is very helpful.

John Stuelpnagel
02-24-2014, 02:11 PM
I use most of the Nik filters and really like them. Detail Extractor is a favorite. But settings vary with each image. Things will often look good at first then the next day it may look overdone (or the converse). It's all experience and learning to compare.

Sharpening is a bit of a pie in the sky thing, for me. It can compensate for some issues, such as losses in resizing, and it is important in those cases, but you can't really improve an image that is soft in the first place. But I have found both SS and Nik's sharpeners to be roughly comparable. Sometimes one will work slightly better than the other. The same with Nik's Dfine (noise reduction) vs Neat Image vs others.

Thanks Diane! It is encouraging to hear your positive experiences. I will keep experimenting with the filters.

Don Lacy
02-24-2014, 06:11 PM
John, This image here is a good example of what can be done with the tonal contrast filter in CEP4 plugin I used two different settings one for the sky and another for the foreground http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/116659-Fiery-Morning

Diane Miller
02-24-2014, 07:30 PM
That's an excellent example -- and a drop-dead gorgeous image!

John Stuelpnagel
02-24-2014, 10:40 PM
I agree with Diane, beautiful image. Thanks again for all your insights on the NIK filters.

Barry Ekstrand
02-25-2014, 08:10 AM
To add to the above, I have the Nik filters and of them, mostly use Detail Extactor. The two things I have found with DE:
1) A little goes a long way; I generally use no more than 12% or so. My goal is the least amount to gain enough detail to enhance the
image.
2) I always use it selectively on the image, brushing it on areas in need but never as a global adjustment on the entire image or layer.

Barry