PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Hiding Behind f 2.8

Jackie Schuknecht
02-21-2014, 11:29 AM
My nephew did not want his picture taken this day, so he pulled up all his toys in front of his face. I used the 100mm macro. Processed mainly in DXO Colour Lab, I used a preset then added some film grain. The program claims to mimic all types of film used in the past. Also used NIK Analog to add bokeh to a busy BG.

Judy Howle
02-22-2014, 02:46 PM
I love this Jackie! Great processing with the texture and grain to make it look vintage. I don't have DXO other than the free one that is the previous version and not too good IMO. I think they added a lot in the current version. I keep forgetting about Nik Analog! I mainly use Exposure 5 by AlienSkin for vintage films.

Cheryl Slechta
02-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Hi, Jackie, perfect for the theme and I love the image! Your nephew looks like he's adorable and I love his "camouflage":S3: It reminds me of all the photos of my great-grandmother - she hated having her picture taken and every one I've ever seen had her face hidden by one of those purses that the Queen of England carries with her everywhere.

Nancy Bell
02-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Wonderful capture of those bright eyes and delicate eyelashes, and perfect for the theme! I like the film rendition very much, but there is something about that large scratch near the right edge in the bkgd. that keeps catching my eye. I think it is because the bkgd there is very plain and that makes the scratch more prominent.

Anita Bower
02-23-2014, 07:44 AM
You did a good job of focusing on his eyes, peeking through his protective toys. I like the tone of the image. The catchlights in his eyes are great. What caused the lighter area around his hair? It is a bit distracting. Good work.

Jackie Schuknecht
02-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Thanks Anita and Nancy. Funny the things you don't notice. I got rid of the scratch, and Anita, I had different incandescent lights coming from different directions (potlights), I tried to darken them using select>colour range, duplicating and using the subtract filter at about 12 percent. An improvement?

Anita Bower
02-23-2014, 02:53 PM
I see a slight difference.

Dennis Bishop
02-23-2014, 04:01 PM
I like them both. The important elements -- the eyes with their catchlights, the toys, and the highlights in his hair -- make the image for me, and the other parts play a supporting role. Nice job in capturing and showing a precious moment.

Jackie Schuknecht
02-23-2014, 04:13 PM
OK Anita:bg3:, last try. Started from scratch. Added a vignette to get rid of the halo around the hair, put it thru Old Postcard in DXO twice. Added a frame and a texture from flypaper.

Anita Bower
02-23-2014, 05:34 PM
For me, the last version works best. My eye goes right to the eyes!!! Good persistence. But, which version do you prefer?

Jackie Schuknecht
02-23-2014, 07:07 PM
Strangely enough, I think I like the final version the best. All the distracting BG elements have been eliminated.

Randall Farhy
02-23-2014, 11:45 PM
Personal taste I suppose, the last one fits the OOB theme a little bit better, but I do prefer the first as it is more reminiscent of a vintage photo, hair halo being the only real distraction. It's certainly one of those special moments well captured.