PDA

View Full Version : Black-throated Blue Warbler

Glenn Bartley
01-06-2008, 02:38 PM
I always make a "want list" when it comes to birds I hope to photograph. For 2008 the Black-throated blue was right at the top. Of course living on the west coast I assumed I would have to pursue it back in Ontario in the spring. Well the bird photo gods must have been smiling down on me last week because this little fella showed up just a few hours up Island from where I live. I raced up there and managed to set up some appealing perches near a feeder that he was frequenting.

So I guess you could say I was pretty stoked to get this one ;)

It's also a continuation of my flash experimentation as I used 4 flashes to light this image. How does it look?

If this is any sign of how 2008 is going to be then its going to be a mighty fine year :)

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/7391/blackthroatedbluewarblepo3.jpg

Camera Model: Canon EOS 30D
Shutter speed: 1/80 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: -2/3
Flash: On - 3 flashes on subject and one on BG in ETTL mode at -1
ISO: 400
Focal length: 500mm f/4 IS + 1.4x
Full frame :)

Daniel Cadieux
01-06-2008, 02:44 PM
I like your inclusion of a smily after the words "full frame" :-)

I think it looks great. The pose you got him in gives it a look of "sweetness" and youthful charm.

Alfred Forns
01-06-2008, 02:53 PM
I would be smiling also Glen !!!! KIller pose and bg I like it all !!! Big Congrats !!!!

Johnny Bravo
01-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Man, you've got one stunning shot there of one stunning bird!!

Your use of the flash was really effective, I don't see anything 'flashy' about the shot at all--perhaps the moss on the twig looks a bit illuminated but one has to look for it to see it--the bird is modeled really nicely with the light--nothing flat about it at all. Love the pose and the composition.

You live in a bird mecca. I was there in the early fall (one of our subsidiary companies is in Victoria so I get up there occasionally) and got to spend about 2 hours with an American Dipper who let me have my way with him. It was the first time I was able to shoot one, but a dipper on it's best day is no black thoated blue!! Congrats on the bird and the shot. Just fabulous.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Lucky you, isn't it great if a plan works out like that? I like this a lot, including flash work but the pose puts it over the top for me. For some reason I find the vertical OOF branch distracting and might clone it out.

Grace Scalzo
01-06-2008, 04:05 PM
It's the pose here that just grabs my attention. I do think it's ever so slightly over sharpened, and also agree with Axel on the OOF branch. Next step for me were this mine would be to the printer!

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Very nice shot Glenn. Lovely pose and bg. No nit at all (not even for the perch :D ).
Szimi

Stephen Stephen
01-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Congratulations Glenn on a lovely image. The lichen on the perch is a bonus.

Mike Lentz
01-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Very nice image, Glenn. I like the BG and the colors on this bird are great!

Linda Robbins
01-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Full frame!

Just love the pose and sharp detail. The background is clean and very attractive. The light looks great. I'm not crazy about the perch you used here. Although the light colored lichens add interest, the downward vertical branch and the rounded brownish oof lichen on the right detract a bit. Still, a very lovely image of a beautiful warbler.

Linda

Ed Prete
01-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Sweet image, well deserved, congrats.

James Salywoda
01-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Stunning Glenn!!!!!

Jody Melanson
01-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Wow Glenn, what a well lit image! :D Awesome job getting him to stay still for 1/80 of a sec! Only nit would be for more DOF to get the tail.

Arthur Morris
01-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Lots of hard work resulted in a fine image. Love the exposure, the background, and most especially, the posture. For me, the perch leaves something to be desired, esp. the hanging part.

What were they feeding this guy?

Thanks and later and love,

artie

Glenn Bartley
01-07-2008, 03:26 PM
What were they feeding this guy?

Suet