PDA

View Full Version : Black fycatcher

Jonathan Ashton
02-20-2014, 05:21 AM
Tripod Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 ISO 400 +1.33 1/800 sec f5.6
Image taken in The Gambia, all C&C welcome.

Norm Dulak
02-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Nice image, Jon. I like the composition, pose, perch and background. The black details are handled nicely. My only preference would be for you to have stopped down your lens more, to bring the tail into better focus.

Iain Barker
02-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Nice and sharp Jonathan with plenty of detail in the blacks. I agree more depth of field would have improved an already nice image.
If mine I would maybe have cropped a little more off the right.

TFS
Iain

keith mitchell
02-20-2014, 08:45 AM
Hi Jonathan, when where you in the Gambia? I was there last week stating at the Sene Gambia.As already mentioned it would have been nice to get all the tail in focus but it would be lovely if everything worked perfectly all the time, the bird looks very good with plenty of detail in the dark feathers and it looks pin sharp, very nice.

Keith.:S3:

Steve Kaluski
02-20-2014, 10:28 AM
I'm OK with the DoF as I find what needs to be sharp and has detail is there. Not sure about the central placement or the green 'halo' around the bird, prefer it to be more consistent in colour. The righthand side of the tail and base looks a little 'jagged' was there any work done here Jon?

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
02-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks very much everyone, much appreciated.
Steve - No PS done to the tail, I did consider the green area but decided to leave it.
Keith - The Senegambia was where I stayed - been there 3 times now but I won't be going again I think I have done it to death now! Hey did you go to Marakissa?

keith mitchell
02-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Agree about the Senegambia, certainly not as many birds in the garden only saw one Abyssinian Roller flying over ,you used to be able to photograph them all the time. Spent most of my time trying for Little Bee-eaters with limited success, so no Marakissa I'm afraid .See if I can find a few to post.
:cheers:Keith.

Satish Ranadive
02-21-2014, 02:46 AM
Fabulous image with wonderful details in blacks.Love the pose, HA, beautiful BG and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Miguel Palaviccini
02-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Jon,

It's aways nice to nail an exposure on a black bird. The feather detail here is to die for!

I do agree, a bit more dof would have been nice, but this one is definitely a keeper!

Miguel