PDA

View Full Version : Black Throated Blue warbler

Barry Goggin
05-13-2008, 09:37 PM
20D with 400/F5.6L - F5.6 1/160
Taken at Garret Mountain, Patterson, NJ. An amazing spot for concentrating migrating birds. However they stay to the tops of the trees which is fine for the birders but makes for terrible photos. Found a spot where i am on a rock ledge level with the tree tops. However getting a clean background is very tough with these little guys. Still wishing for a better background with this one. Any tips?

thanks

Barry

Robert O'Toole
05-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Great looking bird wish the image was 800 px. Light is nice and soft but you are right about the BG. The only thing would be to get the birds farther from the BG and lower.

I would sharpen the head and face to bring out more detail. Also try to crop with more room in front of the bird.

Robert

Barry Goggin
05-13-2008, 10:10 PM
OK, thanks for the advice. Here is an 800px with more room and lighter background. I think it helps a bit.

Steve Maxson
05-14-2008, 09:50 AM
The repost is better, Barry, but still only 63.5 KB. It would likely look even better at the allowed 150 KB. I would suggest cloning or quick masking the light areas on the left to match the rest of the background. Nice pose, good exposure, and good composition.

Ian McHenry
05-14-2008, 10:07 PM
When I saw this image first I thought wonderful colours of a neat bird.
Then when seen in the thread Oh dear bird is in the centre of the picture !!!!
Really like the re-post but IMO could be a bit darker.

Barry Goggin
05-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks Ian and Steve. I am way behind on post-processing because i am trying to keep up with the warbler migration so maybe i will keep my posts until after things quieten down and i have time to spend on them.

thanks again