PDA

View Full Version : Errera Channel

Norm Dulak
02-18-2014, 10:27 AM
D7000 w/28-300mm lens @ 62mm, hand held
ISO 400; f/10, 1/2000 sec.; MM - 0.67
Standard CS6 adjustments; Nik Detail Extractor

The Errera Channel lies between Ronge Island and the Arctowski Peninsula on the mainland. Our ship entered the channel on the left side of the image, en route to Danco Island.

Norm

David Stephens
02-18-2014, 05:05 PM
I love the stark whites, but given glacial ice, I was expecting more blues. The wind on the water is nice. That cloud in the upper left keeps me from wanting to crop some of the water out. Still, I'd try it with a different aspect ratio and a little less water, but with the cloud preserved. The detail in the shadows seems perfect to me.

Diane Miller
02-18-2014, 11:00 PM
Wonderful scene! Not our everyday landscape! I love the soft clouds, and the low-lying ones.

Don Railton
02-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Hi Norm..

I Like this too, especially the detail you have kept in the rocks and the ice.. I do agree with Dave is that it does not seem as blue as previous posts, maybe because of the overcast sky? I am also not so keen on the cloud top LHS, feel its a distraction drawing the eye away from the ice and water and would consider cropping to just below this cloud for this reason... however others like the cloud... We all see different things in the same image.. so its up to you in the end.

thanks for this series Norm.. another place I would love to visit..

DON

Andrew McLachlan
02-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Hi Norm, nice work...I love the look of the water, icebergs, and mountains...but not so much the sky...looks like the Detail Extractor was used on the sky as well...I think if you reduced the effect of the Detail Extractor on the sky it benefit the overall look of the image.

Grady Weed
02-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Here is another vote to remove the cloud in the upper left, to just above the mountain on the right. That's so as not lose any of the great scenery. A personal preference. Very nice image. Have you tried a B&W version? A hope you don't mind. A very simple crop and a quick conversion to B&W, then a slight levels and a slight +1/4 exposure.

dankearl
02-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Again the crispness and detail is really good.
I like the OP, I can see a bit more saturation to the colors, but you were there.
Great scenery you are posting….

David Stephens
02-20-2014, 11:07 AM
I prefer the OP, with the color and cloud. I'd rather leave the cloud in than cut into the mountain face on the right.

I DO like the B&W processing, but side-by-side, I prefer the color in this case.

Morkel Erasmus
02-21-2014, 03:57 PM
Norm, this is hands down the best post you've made in the Landscape forum in my 5 years of participating on BPN... :5 :cheers:
Everything works for me here - composition, tonality, contrast, hue (perhaps a slight boost in saturation will improve it).
The monochrome is also an option, but I like the hint of blue coming through in the OP as it contrasts with the almost monochromatic nature of the scene's natural colours and feel.

Norm Dulak
02-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Norm, this is hands down the best post you've made in the Landscape forum in my 5 years of participating on BPN... :5 :cheers:
Everything works for me here - composition, tonality, contrast, hue (perhaps a slight boost in saturation will improve it).
The monochrome is also an option, but I like the hint of blue coming through in the OP as it contrasts with the almost monochromatic nature of the scene's natural colours and feel.

Morkel, I truly value your comments here.

Jay Gould
02-23-2014, 06:55 PM
Absolutely agree with Morkel. Also like the OP with a crop down from the top to eliminate that cloud.