PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Kildeer with distressed texture

Judy Howle
02-17-2014, 11:28 PM
This version was created from the same base image as the previous one, but I used Moku Hanga on the image for a vintage-ish look, then I used Machine Wash to create the texture. I did a bit of painting on the shadow, a little cloning and tweaking on the final combined layer.

Anita Bower
02-18-2014, 08:03 AM
I notice two differences from the prior image--the head of the bird stands out more, which I like. The overall look is more subdued, in which case I prefer the prior post. But, both are excellent.

Nancy Bell
02-18-2014, 11:12 AM
Fantastic peeling bkgd! It looks like this poor bird was caught in the drying mud and is on its way to becoming a fossil :S3:! Very interesting how each post gives such a different look. I really can't decide, but I lean towards the more saturated colors of the 1st post.

Judy Howle
02-18-2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks Anita and Nancy! Here is a repost with more color. I used Topaz Restyle at 50% over the original. I liked that better than just hue/sat. I also added a little saturation. Not sure if I like it. I will post the one without that added.

Judy Howle
02-18-2014, 08:49 PM
A little less saturation, my pick of the re-worked images.

Randall Farhy
02-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Hi Judy, of the two posts I prefer this one for the head of the bird (already mentioned)- for color/tone, I think I'd prefer something in between the two in this thread. What I'm at odds with is how strong the BG treatment is, in particular the areas near the tail and foot. It feels a bit overpowering and takes something away from the pose of the subject while leading the eye out of the frame on the right. The bird has a wonderful pose and the capture looks spot on. Painting the edges on the shadow softens it's impact which is a nice touch. Part of me wonders if this wouldn't look more like a carving without the shadow altogether.

Judy Howle
02-19-2014, 12:46 AM
Thanks Randall. I see your point about the background but that's just the way it came out of Machine Wash and if I lowered the opacity any more it lost the stuff I wanted to keep. There is more to the plugin that I could have tried like I think you can rotate and flip the texture but I didn't think of it at the time, and I didn't think to save it as a preset. Hopefully I'll keep all of what I have learned in my mind next time I use it.

Anita Bower
02-19-2014, 06:09 AM
Your last version looks great!

Judy Howle
02-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Thanks Anita!

Your last version looks great!