PDA

View Full Version : Making young deer ? (C)

Andreas Liedmann
02-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Hi Folks,
sorted out the membership, so here i go.
Found this couple of Red Deer in a semi wild area close to my home, animals are used to people and are just only separated by a very low "fence ". If there are not many people you find them roaming also in the "visitor area ".
I would like to call this image taken under controlled circumstances.

Canon EOS 1Dx
EF 500 IS L + 1,4 TC
Tripod

F 6,3 / Iso 6400 / 1/1000 sec
Cropped for composition
Processed in Canon DPP and PS CC

C&C welcome and appreciated .

Thanks for watching

Cheers Andreas

Tobie Schalkwyk
02-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Not so sure the circumstances are too 'controlled' for that bull, Andreas - he seems to be missing the mark! :w3

Nice photo! Personally I would have preferred a shallower DOF to see less of the tree in the background, but that's not too serious at all. I'd definitely raise the vibrance & saturation just a tad to bring some colour back into the scene.

Steve Kaluski
02-18-2014, 04:56 AM
Hi Andreas, the overall image looks as if it has a green tint, might want to look at the 'Tint' slider, then tweak?

The fallen tree is a little distracting and perhaps toning it down with a Graduate filter may help, likewise some selective overall mid tone? Think the IQ could be a bit better even for 6400. Crop isn't really working for me, too much dead space on the LHS, perhaps a more 'conventional' crop may work better?

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
02-18-2014, 05:39 AM
I don't think he will be to successful in making babies, it looks to me as if we have two stags! The image is sharp and well focused but the colours don't look right to me, it has a green cast, maybe worthwhile checking out from the raw conversion. ( Was you camera on auto white balance or another setting?) A shame the big dead tree is there, I suppose you could crop a little closer and do some cloning but it could turn out a bit messy.

Rachel Hollander
02-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Hi Andreas - glad you got the membership sorted. I have to agree with Steve and Jonathan. The color certainly does look off with a green tint and then some blue in the bg tree. Interesting behavior and pose, especially if Jonathan is correct and it does look like 2 stags. Nice sharpness and detail as usual.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
02-19-2014, 02:23 PM
Thanks folks for watching and leaving suggestions.
All of you are right re color, wanted to let the color be kind of greenish , because image was taken in forest and on a large clearing. So i hope i addressed this issue with my RP.
Comp is working for me here, not much i can do about the BG , it was just there, and not a chance to move , as i was on foot and this behavior was happening only once facing the body sides to me, i have shots with the same action , but showing their butts to me……..
BTW the BG does not bother me, for me this is a behavior image , and not a piece of ART…….:w3.
So far i have not seen this behavior with Red Deer Stags.I think it is dominance behavior amongst the smaller boys.
In the intro i thought i do not have to mention that this are two males, obvious with the stags………. i thought.:eek3:.
Tobie - how can i get a shallower DOF with this cam / lens combo, stopping down to 5,6 ? Think this will not help a lot , because i shot at 6,3….

Thanks again folks
Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
02-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Hi Andreas - color looks much better to me.

Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
02-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Hi Andreas, repost works better for me...and I like the behaviour that you captured in this scene...nice work!

Steve Kaluski
02-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Yep, colour is far better with more detail too. BKG,yes nothing you could do, but I still think dropping the Exp and reducing the highlights would help, but subjective.

Tobie Schalkwyk
02-20-2014, 01:52 AM
Tobie - how can i get a shallower DOF with this cam / lens combo, stopping down to 5,6 ? Think this will not help a lot , because i shot at 6,3….

Yea you're right, I've forgotten about the TC which must have cost you an f-stop already. :w3 Not that it's too serious - still a nice scene.

BTW the colour is much better now! :5

Andreas Liedmann
02-20-2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys for watching again and leaving suggestions. all are appreciated.

Steve - do you mean dropping the exp on the whole image or just the HL ?

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
02-20-2014, 11:14 AM
In LR use the Graduate filter, then adjust the various options within the sliders i.e. exp, highlights...

Morkel Erasmus
02-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Nice moment here - he sure is excited :w3
The repost colour looks good, and the tree is distracting mostly due to the jutting branches...
Glad you got the membership sorted!

Anette Mossbacher
02-24-2014, 04:19 AM
Hi Andreas,

I also do prefer the RP very much. Get the razor and erase the branches of that tree trunk :Whoa!: lolol just kidding. What is there is there :w3

Have a great week

Ciao
Anette