PDA

View Full Version : Red-crowned Crane Incoming

Arthur Morris
02-16-2014, 06:27 AM
This Red-crowned Crane flight image was created on the Japan in Winter IPT with the Gitzo 3532 LS carbon fiber tripod, the Mongoose M3.6 head, the Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens, the Canon 1.4x EF Extender III (Teleconverter), and the Canon EOS-1D X. ISO 400. Evaluative metering at zero: 1/3200 sec. at f/6.3 in Manual mode. Color temperature: AWB.

Central sensor/AI Servo/Surround Rear Focus AF fell squarely on the bird’s face and was active at the moment of exposure. Click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2013/10/31/if-this-doesnt-get-the-point-across-nothing-will/) to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial. Click on the image to see a larger version.

See more flight images from our first full day in the The 200-400 with Internal 1.4X Extender and Friend Do Tobu Tori (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2014/02/14/the-200-400-with-internal-1-4x-extender-and-friend-do-tobu-tori/) blog post.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments welcome.

gail bisson
02-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Very nice Artie. I like the BG browns against the whites.
Exposure spot on and the bird is tack sharp.
I just wish we could see the face a bit more. It seems to be lost against all the white. Perhaps a tighter crop would address that issue,
Gail

John Rowell
02-16-2014, 11:05 AM
The red crown stands out beautifully on this image. Exposure and focus both look great. A very nice image that stands out nicely from the oof background. My only thought is that the bird appears to have a bit of a blue cast. May be intentional and just a matter of taste.

Holger Leyrer
02-16-2014, 11:35 AM
The wing pose is great. Love all the details i can see and the brown BG fits good to the white bird.
For my tastes the face works not so good in the image.

Marina Scarr
02-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Lovely head on flight pose and that's a pretty clean BG for that area where many of the images usually have a distracting BG. I am with Gail on wishing to see more of the face, maybe more of an eye, etc.

Jim Neiger
02-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Well done, Artie! Head on shots like this aren't easy.

Karl Egressy
02-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Excellent incoming flight shot against pleasing background.

Arthur Morris
02-16-2014, 08:30 PM
Thanks all. The blue cast was removed from the WHITEs for the re-post. A bit of a head turn would have been nice but the face is what the face is :)

Ákos Lumnitzer
02-16-2014, 08:50 PM
I agree, head on shots are not easy. I, too, would've loved to see a slightly angled head, but you get what you get.
Are there particular months during wintertime considered better to go to Japan to photograph these? I also want to photograph Blakiston's Fish Owl, Stellar's Sea Eagles and the Snow Monkies. All on the same trip of course.
Thanks Artie

David Salem
02-17-2014, 02:35 AM
Yes, head on shots arent easy and you got this one nice and sharp. The exposure looks perfect and I like the nice blurred BG. The first thing I thought was the small head is lost in the body a bit but not much you can do there. Well captured.

Gabi Sandu
02-17-2014, 07:07 AM
I like more the repost. Everything is so sharp!!!
If you can tell me. How much sharpness you added in post processing?

Tobie Schalkwyk
02-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Beautiful! Some of you guys don't fool around when it boils down to lenses, I envy you! :w3

A pity the head (or full body, for that matter) was not turned just a little sideways to expose more of the bird's facial expression.

Arthur Morris
02-17-2014, 06:38 PM
I agree, head on shots are not easy. I, too, would've loved to see a slightly angled head, but you get what you get.
Are there particular months during wintertime considered better to go to Japan to photograph these? I also want to photograph Blakiston's Fish Owl, Stellar's Sea Eagles and the Snow Monkies. All on the same trip of course.
Thanks Artie

Thanks Akos. February. Two different locations.

Arthur Morris
02-17-2014, 06:52 PM
I like more the repost. Everything is so sharp!!! If you can tell me. How much sharpness you added in post processing?

Hi Gabu, I usually sharpen the face and head with a contrast mask. Then I sharpen my JPEGs with Unsharp Mask at 140/.3/0. All as detailed in my Digital Basics File (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252), a PDF that is sent via e-mail and includes my complete digital workflow.

ps: We would love to have your membership support :)

Ákos Lumnitzer
02-17-2014, 08:03 PM
Thanks Artie. Appreciate the reply.

Gabi Sandu
02-18-2014, 02:01 AM
Hi Gabu, I usually sharpen the face and head with a contrast mask. Then I sharpen my JPEGs with Unsharp Mask at 140/.3/0. All as detailed in my Digital Basics File (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252), a PDF that is sent via e-mail and includes my complete digital workflow.

ps: We would love to have your membership support :)

Thank you Arthur for your answer.:)

arash_hazeghi
02-19-2014, 12:36 AM
great exposure and incoming pose