PDA

View Full Version : Landing Pad...

Paul Pagano
05-13-2008, 07:20 PM
I shot this at the African Lily exhibit at the Jax Zoo. I had to clean up a lot of darkness around the flower and dragonfly due to a shadow from the black rim around the pond.

Canon 40D; 70-200 f/4L @ 200mm; Av f/4 @1/800s; -2/3EV Evaluative

Gus Cobos
05-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Great composition Paul,
Like the colors and image balance on this one...:D

Dave Phillips
05-13-2008, 09:33 PM
good color combo Paul,,,,very extraterrestrial look to the image

John Cooper
05-13-2008, 09:37 PM
A different perspective here Paul from the usual water lily shot. I think it works very well with the pink flower set against the blue water. lighting a lttle harsh though (? towards mid-day). The dragonfly was a real bonus!!!

Robert O'Toole
05-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Hey Paul I really enjoy this one, the bloom and the bud and the fact that they arent merging and of course the D-Fly is great really! I love it. you did a great job considering the tough lighting.
Wish the light was softer and of course I really wish the Dfly was a sharper but I like the image anyway, good work.

Robert

Ed Vatza
05-14-2008, 05:20 AM
Nice composition and image, Paul. Personally, I would have liked to see you get in closer on the flower and dragonfly but realize you were probably at the minimum focusing distance for the lens. I have taken to carrying a 500D close-up filter/lens for my 70-200 f/2.8 for times when I want to get closer.

Paul Pagano
05-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks everyone. This shot was a throw away until I cleaned it up. I do wish the df was sharper. I've got some other images of this but no df. It was shot in mid-day harsh light. I am going to look into a 500D. I have a 25mm extension tube but haven't used it much yet...

Robert O'Toole
05-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Good idea Paul, I keep a 1.4X, 2X and 2 extension tubes mated together (only 2 caps needed) on a $19 lowepro belt pack. The tubes really save some good situations.
Robert

Roman Kurywczak
05-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi Paul,
Sorry i'm late to the party,........the 25mm extension tube would drastically cut your minimum focusing distance........thus increasing size...........not sure that would have worked here as compositionally as everyone else has mention.....this is unusual and very nice. A different piece of equipment to spend $$ on is the collapsable diffuser /reflector which would have allowed you to shade the waterlilly (Doubt the DF would have hung around through that) and even out your lighting. Here's alink to what I'm talking about........but there are plenty of manufacturers and places to buy: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/196998-REG/Photoflex_DL_22MULTI_22_5_in_1_MultiDisc_Reflector .html
This is very useful for all types of macro close up work to even out the lighting. I use one very oftern as well as the reflector to add/bounce light. Hope this makes sense.

Paul Pagano
05-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks Roman. I have one actually, I use it for shooting weddings/engagements outdoors and on the beach here. I never thought of using one for macro work. I will have to try that.