PDA

View Full Version : Orchard Oriole

Henry Domke
02-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Baltimore Orioles are so flashy that Orchard Orioles are are often overlooked. I think they are equally beautiful; just not so "over-the-top".

I photographed this one a couple years ago near the Prairie Garden Trust Visitor (http://prairiegardentrust.org) Center.

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Canon 1DMk4
600+1.4X TC
f/11
1/640 sec
ISO 1,600
Tripod
Processed with Lightroom 5 & Photoshop CC

Daniel Cadieux
02-15-2014, 03:16 PM
I like the overall feel to this image, very "spring" with the fresh foliage. Good comp with the three large "umbrella" leaves at left balancing the image. In an ideal world the brighter sky would not be peeking through in the BG, but many times unavoidable when photographing in the woods. Would love to see this species, but gotta a get a good image of the Baltimore Orioles here...very numerous but I've had no luck yet with them!

Miguel Palaviccini
02-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Henry, even though the background isn't ideal, I think it shows off the environment real well. I might consider burning in the highlights above the head a bit, but otherwise this is splendid.

Sandy Witvoet
02-15-2014, 06:34 PM
I, too, really like the overall "feel" here! The leaves on the left provide a nice balance, but seem to come "forward" (being yellow/green) in the image and somewhat minimize the Oriole (since he is in the "black-ish" area perceived by our eyes...yet, exposed very well! Oranges are nicely subdued, yet perfect in color.) Perch at bottom is somewhat heavy... might be able to take a bit of that off, as well as a bit on the left? Really love these beauties (especially when you can actually FIND them and photo!)

John Robinson
02-15-2014, 06:48 PM
I like images with a feel of the habitat Henry and this has certainly got it. Always difficult to get a balance between "messy " backgrounds and plain. I certainly don't go for plains. This is my sort of picture.
JohnR

Grace Scalzo
02-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Henry, a great species and I too like the overall spring feel to it with the fresh leaves, however, i don't love the one touching his back. The top of his head here looks gray not black and velvety like the rest of his head. I also can't figure out why the iQ of the rust feathers on the belly doesn't look crisp like on his wing and head.

Jim Crosswell
02-15-2014, 09:01 PM
I like the setting, pose, sharpness and composition. I had one at the house a couple of years ago for two days and never returned. Nice image Henry.

Richard Flack
02-16-2014, 01:33 PM
Hi Henry. Like the feel of this image and the placement of the bird. Really enjoy the leaves to the left. Shows the bird in its environment really well. TFS