PDA

View Full Version : Did you know about e-mail notification about your thread?

Roman Kurywczak
05-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Hi BPN members!

Did you know about instant e-mail notification when someone replies to your thread? I didn't!.........and I'm a moderator!!! I started this thread for the other members out there..... who were like me and didn't know about this feature on BPN forums. For those of you who did.........disregard this notice..we're not worthy!......and all that!
For the rest of you mortals.........you can subscribe (as a member, for free, in the user CP)...to an e-mail notification........when someone responds to your thread or responds to a post. I swear I didn't know this until yesterday.....when quite by accident I was informed by Artie. Imagine my surprise to learn......that when someone responds to my post...........I learn about it instantly.......&...it's waiting for me on my e-mails when I come home! No more searching or remembering........(for the youngsters in the forum....I'm 43....you will be there soon!)...........you will be notified when someone responds to 1 of your posts!

The how to do this....strait from Artie & it works!..........You can subscribe by clicking on User CP and then on "Edit Options." Then scroll down to "Messaging & Notification." At "Default Thread Subscription Mode" click on the drop-down menu and select either "Instant e-mail notification" or "Daily e-mail notification.

I highly recommend the "Instant"...........when you come home the responses will be ther regardless!

Let me know what you all think!....remember.............this site is for all of you.........all the feedback we get...........will only improve the site!

Roman

PS If you have any problems.........post them here.

Jim Poor
05-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Just for kicks, I'll throw in that you can also subscribe to a particular forum and get updates on any threads that are new or updated. At the top right of each forum (the first page of the forum, not individual threads) there is a drop down menu called "forum tools." You can pick subscribe from the options. I get daily updates to forums I'm supposed to watch as well as forums that I have an interest in.

Roman Kurywczak
05-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the input Jim!

Julie Kenward
05-13-2008, 09:13 PM
I think I had noticed it once but never checked out what it was all about. Makes sense to use it though! Thanks for the tips, guys.

And Roman, that Gerbera image tonight is really making me jealous. I'm so intimidated by flash and lighting - I have got to get over my fear and jump in! (Of course it might help if I actually owned an off-camera flash, you think?)

Dave Phillips
05-13-2008, 09:15 PM
it is an excellent feature Roman.....I'm almost 60 and may just have to start using it soon myuself

Roman Kurywczak
05-13-2008, 09:33 PM
it is an excellent feature Roman.....I'm almost 60 and may just have to start using it soon myuself
Must be a young 60.........i've seen your posts chasing those birds!

Robert O'Toole
05-13-2008, 09:39 PM
So thats why you never respond to your threads Roman! :)

And all this time I thought you were ignoring me, LOL....

No seriously though I have been using them since day one to make sure I get back to people. It is a great idea to use them.

Robert

gary rouleau
05-13-2008, 09:51 PM
I have created anti-matter, trapped single atoms, and even redefined the kilogram but that was something I didn't know.
Thanks Roman for the heads up.

Juan Aragonés
05-14-2008, 04:22 AM
Thanks Roman and Arthur for the reminder. I followed yor instructions and I am now subscribed :)

Paul Pagano
05-14-2008, 05:55 AM
excellent!

Grady Weed
05-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Since I go on line to BPN at least 4-6 times a day, I do not use the e-mail notification feature. My e-mail box is slammed by business mail, so more to me would more stress, things I have to pay attention to. It is not that I do not want to stay in touch or respond to my posts, I do. So I will go back during the day and review my posts or those which I want to follow. But with 3 cell phones, 4 e-mail addresses, 2 land lines and 2 different businesses we own and operate....mama Mia!

Jim Poor
05-14-2008, 06:17 PM
You can also subscribe without e-mail notification. Then you can get a list of your posts without the constant "ding" of the E-mail client announcing the arrival of new messages.

Robert Amoruso
05-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Do what I did and set up a dedicated email address for this notification only. Then have Outlook or whatever you use sort to a folder for BPN. That's what I do for my postings and then I can see if anyone asks any questions in that email w/o returning the the actual thread.

Jim Poor
05-15-2008, 05:42 AM
You have to return every now and then because

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

This morning I had three replies to one of my threads and only one notification.

Blake Shadle
05-15-2008, 08:21 AM
You have to return every now and then because

This morning I had three replies to one of my threads and only one notification.

That's the default configuration for the forum software that we use. If you think about it, it really needs to be that way. If people got an instant email each time someone replied to their thread, they might post an image and sit back and read the emails and never check back on the forum.

Their participation in other ways would drop. So it helps keeps the community active and healthy :)

Jim Poor
05-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Oh, I wasn't complaining, just making sure folks know that they may have multiple replies and only one notification.

:)

Blake Shadle
05-15-2008, 08:27 AM
After posting I realized that I did sound like I was replying to a complaint, didn't mean it to come off that way. Just thinking out loud, and letting everyone know the reasoning behind it :)

Chris Ober
05-15-2008, 10:07 AM
When you make a post and request email notification, you will only get one notification unless you click on the link provided in the email sent. This is by design of the software. After you click the link to view the response, you will then receive another notification at the next response. You will not get one notification per response unless you visit the thread via the links provided in each email sent.