PDA

View Full Version : Kite close up

Iain Barker
02-13-2014, 02:38 PM
After seeing Daniels fantastic snowy owl image yesterday I remembered this picture.
I took it a few months ago and have never been able to decide if the crop works or not.
Please let me know what you think.

I know the setting were not perfect for this shot:
Nikon D7000 300mm f4 AF. 1/500 sec f5.6 iso 560.
Small crop above and left and adjustment to levels in lightroom.

John Rowell
02-13-2014, 04:59 PM
Iain, you have a very powerful shot of the head and morsel of meat in the kite's talon. It seems that the sharpest area of focus is nearer the tail, so I think you just missed the point of focus. Very difficult image to capture as the bird must have been right in front of you. I think you've done well with what you had for settings, maybe a higher iso could have given you a bit more latitude. I find the clipped wings more distracting than that they are not sharp and would have opted for a looser crop if you can get it. Very nicely exposed, great coloring on the head and one that would send me back to try for more.

gail bisson
02-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Hi Ian,
Pretty cool to have a raptor so close.
The clipped wings and slightly OOF head really hurt this shot unfortunately. You needed a bit more room and higher SS.
These are the shots that make me go back out :S3:,
gail

Alan Murphy
02-13-2014, 09:53 PM
Comp works well here. Looks like a nice piece of sushi.

arash_hazeghi
02-14-2014, 01:52 AM
I like the pose and sushi, but I agree head is unfortunately OOF, looks like focus locked on the tail.

Iain Barker
02-14-2014, 08:15 AM
Thanks for all the comments they really help me improve. When you take shots like this do you use just one focus point? I tend to use dynamic 9 point autofocus with the hope I will keep focus if the bird moves slightly from my selected point. I am now wondering if this is causing my missed focus and if I should be using just a single point for BIF.

Karl Egressy
02-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Nice image, but I feel that the head needs a little more sharpening or is it my eyes.

John Robinson
02-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Good dramatic crop Iain. Was this at Gigrin ?
Pity about the slightly OOF head.
Cheers
John

Iain Barker
02-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Not at Gigrin John I've never managed to get there yet. It was at Bellymack farm near Dumfries where some more kites have been reintroduced well worth a visit if your ever near there.