PDA

View Full Version : Theme We have antelope too

Ian Cassell
02-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Found this herd of Pronghorn Antelope on my drive to Bosque (just outside Socorro, NM) in December. This was the first time I've seen them in the wild.

Canon 7D
Sigma 100-300/4 @ 300mm on Beanbag
1/2000 sec f/7.1 ISO 320

Color Efex Pro
Crop for comp and sharpening in CS6

Steve Kaluski
02-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Hi Ian, an interesting concept with the five moving in the same direction in an iconic formation, love the one looking up direct to camera. I also like the small glimpse of horizon/sky to break up the FG. The sky does look a little dirty/sooty, perhaps this can be attended to in the PP as I feel it would look better and balance with again, the FG, WDYT?

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
02-13-2014, 05:26 PM
HI Ian,

I agree with Steve on the sky. I have the impression that you did global sharpening. I would reduce it in the grass around the animals a least 50%.
Very nice and the crop works for me.
Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
02-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Hi Ian - Nice to see the pronghorn and the one looking at you certainly adds to it. I agree with Steve and Anette on the sky. I'm guessing that your reference to Color Efex is that you used detail extractor. Unfortunately, I think you over did it as it looks crunchy. I know a lot of people love detail extractor but it is powerful and IMHO has to be used very judiciously and at low percentages.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
02-15-2014, 01:00 PM
Like the line up of the animals in this shot. Used to see them a lot on the eastern side of the mountains when I lived down there. Lots of opportunities for animalscape shots with the wide open spaces.

Ashleigh Scully
02-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Hi, I always like seeing more of a landscape crop on these kinds of shots, great job! The grass tones are also really nice and the antelope seem like they are walking in the direction that the wind is blowing. I agree with the sky - maybe that can be fixed. These are hard animals to photograph when its bright out because the white patches really reflect but you did a good job with that.

Morkel Erasmus
02-21-2014, 06:21 PM
Nice scene Ian. I agree with Steve on the sky.
A better comp/design would have been to have more space vertically between the moving antelopes and the one standing staring at you...but nothing you can do about that :bg3: