PDA

View Full Version : Displaying Great Egret- St Augustine, FL

Shawn Marques
05-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Taken at the farm just as the sun was setting. I look forward to your critiques and comments. Thanks for taking a peek!
Canon 40D, Canon EF600mm f/4L IS USM
1/1600s @ f/4.5, ISO 400
Gitzo carbon fiber tripod, Wimberely head

Arthur Morris
05-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Nicely done. Nice BKGR--a good find in a cluttered place. Not sure if you should have gotten a bit higher or a bit lower to set the head against either the tree or the black. I think that either would have been an improvement.

Daniel Cadieux
05-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Beautiful breeding plumage, sweet light, and good exposure!! I really like the tones throughout and the tree the egret is perched on seems neatly groomed by mother nature...no awkward branch sticking out anywhere ;-) I personally wish the head was turned a couple of degrees more towards the camera, and I'd explore the idea of adding a bit at top (about 1/2 inch).

Shawn Marques
05-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks, Artie. That's a can do! I have several other shots with the head in both areas. No idea why I fell for this one!

Shawn Marques
05-13-2008, 06:55 PM
I'll make a point of that Daniel. I have several other shots- as I worked this subject for several minutes. Each have their good and bad points, but I don't think I have that perfect one. Glad you stopped by to give your input. Thanks!

Robert Amoruso
05-13-2008, 10:24 PM
I was standing nest to Shawn and we were both photographing this bird. Shawn had the better spot - he must have been listening when I was telling the workshop participants to move around and find those uncluttered BG - but darn he stood where I wanted to be. :)

There was a large branch in the BG above the egret's head, so at my vantage point when the head got high, the tree was behind it. Shawn probably got better. Nice BG, great light and beautiful bird combined in an expertly captured image.

Philip Lombard
05-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Great Job Shawn love it all.

Shawn Marques
05-14-2008, 12:10 PM
I was standing nest to Shawn and we were both photographing this bird. Shawn had the better spot - he must have been listening when I was telling the workshop participants to move around and find those uncluttered BG - but darn he stood where I wanted to be. :)

There was a large branch in the BG above the egret's head, so at my vantage point when the head got high, the tree was behind it. Shawn probably got better. Nice BG, great light and beautiful bird combined in an expertly captured image.

Robert, I'm really sorry about hogging the space. :o Had I known about your poor POV, I would have tried scooting over a bit for you!

Robert Amoruso
05-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Robert, I'm really sorry about hogging the space. :o Had I known about your poor POV, I would have tried scooting over a bit for you!

No problem and not what I meant. I mentioned it because I was glad to see that you chose the spot I would have. That was my point with regard to Artie's comments. I think you had picked the best spot to stand. For me, when I do workshops, I want my participants to get the image and work to make that happen. When I came up next to you, I could see you were in the best position - that was my goal.

Robert Hardy
05-14-2008, 12:50 PM
lovey shot and great pose .
Rob.

Shawn Marques
05-14-2008, 02:07 PM
No problem and not what I meant. I mentioned it because I was glad to see that you chose the spot I would have. That was my point with regard to Artie's comments. I think you had picked the best spot to stand. For me, when I do workshops, I want my participants to get the image and work to make that happen. When I came up next to you, I could see you were in the best position - that was my goal.

Oh... okay! Thanks Teach!