PDA

View Full Version : Gloves for Winter Photography

Henry Domke
02-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Can anyone suggest shooting gloves that work well when the temperatures are well below freezing?
I've experimented with a couple of different kinds but have not found anything I like. I even tried a pair of electric gloves like in the picture.

A friend from Minnesota tells me that mittens are much warmer and that gloves+mittens are probably the way to go.
Thoughts?
Suggestions?

David Stephens
02-10-2014, 11:53 AM
I use a combination of gloves and mittens.

For 40-degree Fahrenheit to 15-degrees I use AquaTech Sensory Gloves http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/aquatech-sensory-gloves.html When it gets colder, I add Simms Windstopper Foldover Mitt http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/socks-gloves/windstopper-foldover-mitt.html

This combination has worked well for me down to -17F, standing out for an hour or so. I have a Beretta Extreme Duck Hunting jacket that's double Gore Tex, with some very warm pockets to supplement after you had a finger out exposed for a few minutes and need to warm it back up. I've also got hand warming packets in my jacket pocket, but I've never had to use them.

Those gloves you show look too bulky to operate the controls on the back of the camera.

Randall Farhy
02-10-2014, 03:28 PM
I also use the Aqua Tech gloves, sometimes I will wear a pair of thin underarmour neoprene? glove liners with sticky pads on them underneath the Aqua-tech when I'm near the water or in windy locations. There are also thin goloves with a pocket on on the back that holds a handwarmer, works fairly well though they are a tight when used as a liner. I havn't shot at temps below zero for any length of time, but these combinations have served well for extended periods at temps around 15*F with a good winter coat with pockets. I'll have to look into that duck jacket David mentioned.

David Stephens
02-11-2014, 04:53 PM
.... I'll have to look into that duck jacket David mentioned.

Here's the jacket:

http://www.berettausa.com/products/beretta-xtreme-ducker-2-in-1-waterproof-jacket/

I love it, BUT I bought mine from Overstock.com for $350, not $499. I got it in December and I've been out in -17 Fahrenheit and lots of times below 20-F. I've been in a good bit of snow, but not rain. I suspect the Gore-Tex will be fine in rain, like my other G-T items, but I haven't had that pleasure yet.

It's very warm and ideal for us photographers standing in one place for long period of time in the cold.

Randall Farhy
02-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Thank you dave, I wil check it out. As of right now I just use thin layers thermal to sweatshirt with an outer winter coat and hood to fight the wind and keep the hands warm. I try to avoid the rain unless I'm shooting small birds from my deck (either from a tent or blind). I haven't gotten out at all this year, but I want to try a pair of oversized mittens that I'll cut across the inside of the fingers that will allow me to fold the top back and away, with a thumbhole similar to the aqua-tech idea. Should be ok when shooting from a tripod, not sure they'll allow enough mobility for in-flight stuff.

Ian Cassell
02-12-2014, 12:21 AM
I went to my local Cabella's and bought a pair of hunter's gloves and a pair of hunter's mittens. The glove has a thin trigger finger which allows less restricted movement and the mitten has a flap to stick your fingers out for the trigger. Frankly, I have been unhappy with both of them. My index finger gets very cold in the glove and all of my fingers get cold when I stick my finger out of the mitten. At Bosque in December, I was sure I was going to get frostbite. I'm following this thread with interest.

Dave Johnson
02-12-2014, 01:57 AM
Have you considered these? Very well made but pricey. http://www.theheatcompany.com/en/gloves/heat-3-smart

David Stephens
02-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Ian, you put your fingers back inside the glove or mitten, every chance that you get. I do that, plus put my hands inside my jacket pockets when they've gotten too cold. I've got the chemical heater packs as a last resort and haven't needed them.

Ian Cassell
02-12-2014, 06:40 PM
I must have very poor circulation in my fingers. I can barely keep them out of the glove and it takes forever for them to defrost when I re-glove them. I use the chemical heater packs religiously.

David Stephens
02-14-2014, 11:02 PM
I must have very poor circulation in my fingers. I can barely keep them out of the glove and it takes forever for them to defrost when I re-glove them. I use the chemical heater packs religiously.

We each have different tolerance. I bought the chemical packs about three years ago and haven't used one yet, even though I've stood out at -14F and pulled my fingers out to take pix. I must be warm blooded.