PDA

View Full Version : Harris's Sparrow

Henry Domke
02-09-2014, 09:35 PM
It's not often that I come across a new bird at the Prairie Garden Trust (http://prairiegardentrust.org). I've lived here for 33-years and have seen most of the birds that occur on the property. Late this afternoon I noticed a dark-faced sparrow in our front yard that I couldn't recognize. I stepped outside into the snow flurries for a closer look and found this Harris's Sparrow. Very exciting!

With the low light I decided to push the ISO up to 5,000. Do you see any signs of image artifact due to the high ISO?
Any other suggestions for improving the image would be welcome.

Canon 1DX
600 II+1.4X TC
f/10
1/1,000 sec
ISO 5,000
Manual Exposure
Tripod
Processed with Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC

Enrique Patino
02-09-2014, 10:58 PM
great capture and bird. I like the feel and details. The bird could use a bit more punch. Try a bit more vibrance on the bird.. or more saturation...which ever you like best

douglas hayes
02-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Yes Henry it is exciting to find a new bird and nice capture. There is no noise factor-was this from PP? I have never seen a Harris sparrow-I will someday. Good winter tones.

Henry Domke
02-10-2014, 03:16 PM
There is no noise factor-was this from PP?
I always apply some noise reduction in Lightroom. I was surprised that at ISO 5,000 the noise was not really a problem so I did not have to hit it too hard.

dankearl
02-11-2014, 02:46 AM
IQ looks great for iso5000, and I like the wintry feel and in your face pose a lot.
I might take a bit off both sides.