PDA

View Full Version : Sell 1DII? Get 40D + Lens

Brian Kersey
01-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I usually do 90% Wildlife Photos but now I want to do Landscape and Portraits in addition to my usual style. The only lenses I have now are the 100-400 and the 50 1/8. I really like the setup that I have but I still am hurting for the Wide angle lenses. If I sold the 1DII, I could get a 24-70, or a 24-105, or an EF-S lens to supplement my current lens setup. Of course, there are trade offs, so what I need is some help and discussion to aid my decision. Should I trade or Stay? What would you do? (Or have already done?).
Also, is the 40D AF a lot slower than the 1DII with center point? How does the 40D AF compare? Thanks for the help guys.

Brian Kersey

Alfred Forns
01-06-2008, 03:02 PM
I would keep the 1D2 Probably just a personal choice I really liked that camera when I had it For current lenses it has a 1.3X crop factor vs 1.6X for the 40D

It is all according to need It is not an easy choice !!! Either way you go You will not go wrong !!!

Chris Ober
01-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Look for a used 28-105 lens. The older macro version, not the newer remake which isn't as good. It's not an L lens but it does a **** good job for not much. You can find them for ~$150, and get you at least started with landscapes and not have to get rid of your body. For a little more, look for the older 20-35mm. Also a good buy and go for $250 or less.

Brian Kersey
01-07-2008, 12:22 AM
anyone else?

Jay Tan
01-07-2008, 12:41 AM
I think it depends on how many % of your photography will be on landscape/portraits and what kind of wildlife will you shoot. If it's gonna be 50% of landscape/portraits and you do not do a high amount of action shots, then i think selling the 1DII and getting 40D+lenses will be a good move. But if you do a good amount of action shots in wildlife, 1DII is good to keep and slowly build up your landscape/portrait lens. :)

Ed Prete
01-07-2008, 10:08 AM
I can agree with Jay a bit. Having owned the 1D2, 1D2n, as well as the 20D and more recently the 40D, the 40 is a very capable camera that handle a nice variety of subjects fairly well. It is head and shoulders above the 20D as far as focus speed and accuracy and while not a 1 series, it is closer in performance to those bodies than previous pro-sumer bodies have been. The 10-22 is also an excellent lens that solves the wide angle problem very well, but one of the problems is, once you total the 10-22 with a 40D, etc, you are very close to the price of the professional grade bodies (but of course still needing to solve the wide angle issue).

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
01-07-2008, 10:39 AM
I own the Canon 40D, 17-85 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS and the Canon 100-400 IS. I am pleased with the combination, but I can tell you that the low light shooting performance doesn't come close to the Canon Mark III. That being said, the 40D is a nice improvement over the 20D. I also like a mix of landscapes and wildlife. I plan on adding an EOS 5D (full frame) replacement when it is hopefully announce later this year. I would see about a used lens and keeping your current camera. This would give you some time for some hands-on with portraits and landscapes before selling your pro gear. Best of luck.

Jim Neiger
01-07-2008, 01:35 PM
I would keep the 1d2. I think the 1.3 crop is better for the landscapes you want to photograph and it's AF and frame rate are better for action. The pro body will likely be more reliable and last longer. The amount you get for a used 1d2 won't be that much more than the cost of the 40D.