PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Sunrise Backlit Blastoff.

Daniel Cadieux
02-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Yep, another Snowy Owl. Trying different things sometimes, might as well with a cooperative subject! This is actually a take-off pose, springing off the ground, where just a split second earlier it was sitting in the snow. The warm light makes it look warmer than it was...a very cold morning in the minus twenties Celsius.

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/2500s., f/8, ISO 800 (settings histogram checked), natural light, handheld, 80% FF. Baited.

Grady Weed
02-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Well I do not have any snowie owls, so this one would be a nice keeper for my files. I like the head on look, wing spread and the warm light. The BG is not an issue as well. I just don't know about the rather dark light on the snowie owls head. Don't get me wrong Daniel, it is a killer image, just a tad too dark, for me. I'd like to see that a bit brighter to see more details, not too much brighter. TFS and for the discloser.

Enrique Patino
02-09-2014, 11:07 PM
good way to experiment with light and subject Daniel. It may have been better without the distant trees. they look a bit weird! TFS

Daniel Cadieux
02-10-2014, 05:56 AM
Thanks guys! Yep, there was some "heat" shimmer that sort of distorted the BG:S3:

Stu Bowie
02-10-2014, 09:31 AM
Hi Dan, well timed for the take off, and with good eye contact. I like the warmer BG, certainly different from the normal white snow BG. The backlit tail puts this up a few notches. I can see a version with the snowy just exposed a touch more.

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Looks pretty good on my monitor Daniel!
A real beauty, you guys are so lucky to have them there and even flying with so much light! You are right about the warm light, it feels as if the image was taken on a nice warm morning.

Marina Scarr
02-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Lovely and what's best is that it is truly unique. Love the gold tones.