PDA

View Full Version : THEME - A Greenie Looking for Dave

Cheryl Slechta
02-09-2014, 11:59 AM
I'm trying to clear up some space on my computer and found a greenie for the theme. I used DAP Benson on it at a reduced opacity.
Thanks for looking:S3:

Dennis Bishop
02-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Very nice verticals and diagonals, colors, too. And I really like the pose. Very well done all the way around.

Diane Miller
02-09-2014, 03:45 PM
I like the picture and the effect -- they go very well together.

Nancy Bell
02-09-2014, 04:40 PM
I really like the texture with the DAP Benson effect. And great compositional diagonals with the heron and the perch. Herons can remain motionless for long times and I like the subtle tension between the statue-like look to the heron amid the motion created by the swirls and colors in the bkgd.

Diane Miller
02-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Cheryl, are you using Auto Painter on an iPad or the like? I have it on my iPhone but never tried it on a picture from the big cameras. Just checked on it and saw that there is a version (apparently simplified) from the Mac app store that will run on the "real" computer. Just got it and will try it if I dig out before happy hour, which I probably won't.

Jackie Schuknecht
02-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Really nice Cheryl!

Cheryl Slechta
02-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Hi, Diane, sorry I just saw this - I have DAP on my desktop - I had no idea they had an app. I wonder if it's the same - Dynamic Auto Painter. I don't use it often but I always dust it off for Dave Phillips week:S3:

Cheryl, are you using Auto Painter on an iPad or the like? I have it on my iPhone but never tried it on a picture from the big cameras. Just checked on it and saw that there is a version (apparently simplified) from the Mac app store that will run on the "real" computer. Just got it and will try it if I dig out before happy hour, which I probably won't.

LinzRiverBalmer
02-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Honestly not sure how to comment or critique for this theme week... Everything is so unique it's up to personal interpretation.

this is lovely, like it all, wish there were a bit more of the blues around the beak.

Diane Miller
02-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Cheryl,

From what I read quickly on their web site, I think for the PC it's a regular program, but Mac is, by their own bragging, "different." (And they're proud of it, although they seem to have toned down the bragging over the years.) Translation: a lot of developers won't touch recoding their programs for the Mac OS. So from the website the Mac version looks like a simplified one. I can't find many controls that let you change things. I'll pull out the iPhone and compare them, but from what I remember (haven't used i for a while) it's about the same.

I like the look you got using it as a layer with reduced opacity. It gets a little heavy-handed for my tastes, left to it's own.

But thanks for reminding me of it! Worthy of more exploration.

Randall Farhy
02-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Another beauty this one is. There are a good number of textures and lines at work here and it is a well suited subject for the effect. The altered BG is a compliment to the overall scene though i'd be tempted to crop the top just a little bit more.

Cheryl Slechta
02-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Thanks, everyone for your comments. I really have only scratched the surface of the features of DAP because I don't use it that often. If you uncheck the box that clears the image when it's finished you can add another artist or effect which I will do sometimes - let one run a little bit and then switch to another. It's also nice to run it and use it just for the background of an image at a reduced opacity. Dave was a master at it.:S3:

Anita Bower
02-11-2014, 07:21 AM
I like everything about this image except for the light-toned vertical through the middle. It was the first thing I noticed.

The subtle colors are beautiful and work well with the processing. Nice position of the bird. The vegetation at the bottom grounds the image.