PDA

View Full Version : Keel-billed portrait

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-09-2014, 10:01 AM
I never get tired of shooting these colourful birds. They are a real beauty but can also get nasty at times. A lot of people don't know that they also feed on another bird's chicks and eggs, I have even seen them eating tropical mise and rats.

For this one I used

MarkIV+600f/4+1.4TC@f/8+ISO800+tripod+Full frame+minor LR tweaks.

Thanks for looking.

Randy Stout
02-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Juan Carlos:

What a riot of color these guys are. I enjoy seeing them!

Well exposed, sharp. Always an interesting comp. challenge. I like the eye location, but for this bird, the bill is almost more of an attention grabber, and it might have been interesting to frame it with a bit more room to the right when taking it. I realize this is full frame. I like the inclusion of the small amount of greenery at LRC, gives a bit of depth..

Cheers

Randy

WIlliam Maroldo
02-09-2014, 10:39 AM
By far the best toucan image I've ever seen! Excellent exposure, composition, color, detail, and subject. regards~Bill

Richard Flack
02-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Stunning image Juan. Awesome IQ and love the colours!

Grace Scalzo
02-09-2014, 11:55 AM
I think this is stunning. So full of rich color and interest throughout. I agree that as posted it feels a bit tight on the right hand side. A trick I learned is if you print and frame it, use a color of mat that is very close to the color of your background. It kind of tricks the eye into thinking that there is more space. (And if this were my image, it would be printed large and hanging where I could see it often!)

Marina Scarr
02-09-2014, 01:55 PM
What an amazing looking bird with such vibrant colors, JC. Image feelsl tight to me. Great advice by Grace on picking your mat.

Daniel Cadieux
02-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Beautiful colours, nice details, matching BG, amazing looking eye! I agree with more room at right, sometimes we get stuck with a bit too much lens and almost no cropping options!

Diane Miller
02-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Awesome bird and wonderful colors! The beak is so amazing I don't mind that the crop is a bit tight.

Gabi Sandu
02-10-2014, 01:46 AM
Stunning image Juan. Excellent exposure, composition and colors.

Stu Bowie
02-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Hi JC, striking colours on this fellow, and lots to look at. The colours are well exposed, overall sharp, and I like the smooth BG. Comp wise, if this were mine, I would come in from the LHS, and would have had more space on the RHS.

Henry Domke
02-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Wonderful picture of a stunningly beautiful subject.
On my calibrated monitor I thought there was a green cast to it. I added a bit of magenta and red to this repost.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
02-10-2014, 09:37 PM
Beautiful portrait with amazing colors. I immediately thought I saw a greenish yellow cast as well but wasn't sure if it was just all the yellows in the image . I like how it is sharp all the way to the point of the bill.

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys for your kind comments. Henry also thanks for working on this image. I will reprocess this one.

Ákos Lumnitzer
02-16-2014, 08:56 PM
Beautiful portrait JC.