PDA

View Full Version : American Goldfinch is Summer clothes

Bret Goddard
02-08-2014, 01:43 PM
Hello everyone, been playing with this for a while now. I wanted to post a more vertical crop but with the size limits, I could not get it to work unless it was just too snall. In any event, another from the backyard. They usually winter over here every year but all disappeared this fall. Funny how they knew it was to be a harsh winter. Usually have a lot of them in summer, fun to watch.
1/1000, 1/320, f/8, 9.8m away

Stu Bowie
02-08-2014, 01:53 PM
Hi Bret, super pose, and we have a good view of the feet holding onto the perch. Yellows look good apart from a few small areas that are blown, but the finer plumage still shows up nicely. Lots of detail on the perch and I do like the BG. Comp wise, I would maybe take a bit off the RHS, as I feel the finch is placed a touch too centrally.

Marina Scarr
02-08-2014, 07:42 PM
What a little darling bird, and he sure did strike a pose for you, Bret. Your BG is lovely. Like seeing the bird's tootsies. I think with an adjustment to your crop, you could improve this image even more. I agree with Stu that it's too centrally placed, and I am feeling it's a bit tight at the top. Maybe play with the crop a little bit.

dankearl
02-08-2014, 10:50 PM
I agree with the crop suggestions, you should also run a round of NR on the Bg.
You did get a nice pose and beautiful color.
A bit of tweaking and you have a very good photo of maybe North America's prettiest bird.

Bret Goddard
02-09-2014, 07:28 AM
Thanks very much everyone. I am going to redo this with a vertical crop to see how it turns out in a bit, Thanks again, very much appreciate the kind words.

Marina Scarr
02-09-2014, 07:53 AM
I would normally has suggested a vertical crop but in this case I feel as though the perch may be too large for a vertical crop. I think it might overpower your bird. It would be fun to see what you come up with.

Steve Kaluski
02-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Hi Bret, I like the overall colours on this and the bright yellow of the subject, nice and punchy against the BKG tones, but just quick your settings, as this image has an RGB colour profile.

The is nice detail within the subject although I get the impression the tail has been lightened, looks a little noisy? There maybe other combinations of crop, but perhaps just moving the whole crop to the right slightly may help. As this is shot in the 'backyard', I would look for a different perch, the broken end isn't that appealing IMHO, however a slimmer/thinner branch maybe more in keeping, WDYT?

TFS
Steve

PS if you add in the camera i.e. 7D, 400 lens with 2x ISO320 to the Exif data that does help. Is the 2x the MKII or III?

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Goldfinches are cute birds and this is a good example of that! this one gave you a great HA, light is good and l also like the BG. I am not too keen towars the perch as it is very overpowering in my opinion. I also would stay with the 2;3 ratio.

Satish Ranadive
02-13-2014, 01:13 AM
Excellent image. Wonderful colors, details, very nice pose and lights.

Regards,
Satish.

Bret Goddard
02-15-2014, 07:24 AM
Hello everyone, Finally found the time to make a vertical crop, simple crop with no other changes. Steve, I agree 100% with the large and un appealing end to the perch, even with this crop, the perch has taken over badly, I intend to overhaul all of my backyard perches this spring if it ever warms up and there is some unfrozen ground. I did not lighten up the tail, I do not use all of what ps5 offers as I just don't really know how to and have failed miserably every time I try anything other than basic adjustments. I do not use flash and usually shoot only in very good light to keep iso down to 200, my normal setting. By just looking at everyones shots here has shown me a lot of what I used to think as minor problems are indeed much more and learn from everyone here, quite grateful I found this forum, the help here is very well put to words.
Juan and Satish, Thank You kindly as well.
This was taken with my 7D, 400 2.8 w/2xtc III, don't know how I missed but yes ISO 320.
Thanks again everyone for all your help, very much appreciated
Bret

Steve Kaluski
02-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Hi Bret, it's quite often very easy to over look the obvious, but the great news is that you are able to get some new perches and build on the continuing advice given here on the Forum. This 'pursuit' is a constantly evolving & changing with the advancement of new technology, PP, and of course building on your fieldcraft/knowledge, as Spring is not that far away and so budding branches will open up another avenue.

I would be very surprised if anyone uses all of what PS has to offer, keeping a simple workflow is key, but exploring some of the options it has may surprise you too, as taking the image is just as important as processing, they work hand in hand. You could have taken the best shot possible, but poor processing could kill it. Based on the above you show a good knowledge and understanding, but having the correct embedded profile for web display will also help and avoid colour shift.

Good luck.

Steve

Rob Melone
02-15-2014, 04:47 PM
My heavens! What a gorgeous portrait Brett!