William Dickson
02-08-2014, 10:43 AM
Canon 7D
Canon f/2.8 300mm, 1x4 TC
SS 1/2500
f/4
ISO 800

Cropped for comp in CS6

These birds a few years ago, were very common in Scotland, but, for some unknown reason, are declining rapidly.
I captured this one on a dull blustery day near to the seashore in Fife, Scotland

Henry Domke
02-08-2014, 01:27 PM
William you need to know that many of us that live in North America have an automatic negative reaction to this bird. That may not be fair, but it is true. While it is a native species where you live here it is viewed as an invasive exotic. I'm sorry to hear that it is declining where you live. In contrast in most North American cities this is one of our most abundant bird.

The image you presented is a nice tight portrait. The major issue I see with it is that the strong harsh side lighting is creating excessive contrast and is causing burnt out highlights in the underparts of the bird. The background is very nice with the exception of the out-of-focus birds head in the bottom center.

I wish the bird's head were angled a bit more toward the viewer.

I hope that helps and I hope my reaction was not overly influenced by my feelings towards Passer domesticus.

John Robinson
02-08-2014, 05:24 PM
William
can't see the pic for some reason/
John

William Dickson
02-08-2014, 06:40 PM
William
can't see the pic for some reason/
John

Dont know why John :e3

William Dickson
02-08-2014, 06:42 PM
William you need to know that many of us that live in North America have an automatic negative reaction to this bird. That may not be fair, but it is true. While it is a native species where you live here it is viewed as an invasive exotic. I'm sorry to hear that it is declining where you live. In contrast in most North American cities this is one of our most abundant bird.

The image you presented is a nice tight portrait. The major issue I see with it is that the strong harsh side lighting is creating excessive contrast and is causing burnt out highlights in the underparts of the bird. The background is very nice with the exception of the out-of-focus birds head in the bottom center.

I wish the bird's head were angled a bit more toward the viewer.

I hope that helps and I hope my reaction was not overly influenced by my feelings towards Passer domesticus.

Henry,

I dont know why you have an 'automatic' negative reaction, after all, all birds have a place in this world

Bret Goddard
02-08-2014, 07:04 PM
It is a bit bright on the underside but I really like it overall, beautiful eye. I kind of agree with Henry, I have a gang here that are very aggressive, having said that, they are very family oriented and at least from what I have seen have a way of looking out for each other, with leaders quite apparent. Too bad they are in a decline where you are..

Steve Kaluski
02-09-2014, 04:35 AM
Hi William, I agree the light does look harsh, especially on the whites which you maybe able to address in the RAW, but considering how far you have come in such a short space of time, this is good and I can see you are building steadily on what you are learning. Having the head of the other bird in frame is not ideal, likewise the highlight streak on the LHS in the BKG, very easily dealt with depending on your ethics, however always best to avoid these things in camera, where you can. :w3 It's a little BIF (big in frame) for my tastes as presented, is it a crop? If not, I might have taken the converter off to give a bit more space around and so the subject could breath within frame, a little less space to the right, more to the left IMHO. I could be wrong, but I get the impression you may have lifted (lightened) the head, if so just back it off a little. Based on the techs having more DoF i.e. f/7.1 I feel would have helped too.

TFS
Steve

PS, Hope the storms are easing. :S3:

William Dickson
02-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Hi William, I agree the light does look harsh, especially on the whites which you maybe able to address in the RAW, but considering how far you have come in such a short space of time, this is good and I can see you are building steadily on what you are learning. Having the head of the other bird in frame is not ideal, likewise the highlight streak on the LHS in the BKG, very easily dealt with depending on your ethics, however always best to avoid these things in camera, where you can. :w3 It's a little BIF (big in frame) for my tastes as presented, is it a crop? If not, I might have taken the converter off to give a bit more space around and so the subject could breath within frame, a little less space to the right, more to the left IMHO. I could be wrong, but I get the impression you may have lifted (lightened) the head, if so just back it off a little. Based on the techs having more DoF i.e. f/7.1 I feel would have helped too.

TFS
Steve

PS, Hope the storms are easing. :S3:

Cheers Steve, much appreciated :cheers: