PDA

View Full Version : Slot Canyon Sand Fall

Mike Landwehr
02-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Antelope Canyon is such a beautiful and unique place to photograph. It's a lot of fun if you take a photo tour with a good guide. NIK Detail Extractor at 33%, cropped from 3x2 to 5x4, sharpened and resized. No HDR. All C & C appreciated.

1D Mark IV
16-35 f/2.8 II @ 16 mm
ISO 200
3.2 sec @ f/16
tripod

Grady Weed
02-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Every time I see an image of these canyons I am humbled by the complex colors and display of "painting with light". My 2 girls will be going out to Phoenix Arizona the first week in April for 10 days. They hope to go the canyon using my 5D. I wish I could go with them. Wonderful image. I have no thoughts on how to improve it, if you could! TFS.

Ian Cassell
02-07-2014, 06:46 PM
This is gorgeous. I've lived in Phoenix for almost 15 years now and have yet to get to Antelope (it is on my list for the coming year). I assume this was the Lower Canyon. The piece of wood and the falling sand really add to the effect.

David Stephens
02-07-2014, 11:30 PM
Gotta go. Beautiful site.

My only question is about the piece of wood on the ledge. It feels contrived to me. I can imagine it sitting on the floor and one photographer comes along and puts it on the ledge and then the next photographer takes it down. Maybe it belongs there, but I think it'd more likely be on the floor of the canyon. It looks good, BUT I'm spending too much energy worrying if it belongs there. Just me. It's still a beautiful image.

Don Railton
02-08-2014, 05:19 AM
Beautiful image...! Love the falling sand (good choice on shutter...) and the colour tones/play of light on the walls. Not sure about the wood, but Well done anyway...

don

Mike Landwehr
02-08-2014, 09:47 AM
The driftwood and falling sand are contrived, indeed. The driftwood could have been picked up from the floor of the canyon, but was probably brought in from outside. I'm confident that it was placed on the ledge by one of the tour guides (or perhaps by a visitor), as a point of interest for photographers. Our photo tour guide scooped sand from the floor, and threw it onto the ledge, to create the "sand fall" for the five photographers in our photo tour group. I believe that is a common practice by photo tour guides.

dankearl
02-08-2014, 11:11 PM
I have never seen a bad photo from here.
Your exposure is once and the place of course is beautiful.
I would have preferred it without the props...

Rachel Hollander
02-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Hi Mike -classic scene, well handled. I agree that the wood seems contrived. Did you take any without the wood in the scene?

TFS,
Rachel

Diane Miller
02-11-2014, 05:53 PM
To me, if things were arranged that just makes it a still life. (OK, a still life with motion). I love the composition with the light beam and the falling sand! Wonderful tonal range for no HDR.

Morkel Erasmus
02-13-2014, 05:46 PM
I also love seeing images from these canyons. You achieved a great exposure, tonal range and depth as well as luminous glow.
I also dislike the wood as it just doesn't seem to fit in this scene - I hope you got some without the wood...:e3