PDA

View Full Version : Neumayer Channel

Norm Dulak
02-07-2014, 08:55 AM
D7000 w/Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 lens @ 40mm, hand held
ISO 500; f/13, 1/1250 sec; MM -0.33

Just returned from Antarctica, where the weather was perfect and the views were amazing. This image was captured in the Neumayer Channel en route to Port Lockroy.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

David Stephens
02-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Crisp and bright. I love the reflection and the balance of the composition. The wisp of clouds adds nice interest. Bright as it is, I don't think that you blew out any "important" highlights. This is one of those scenes that will cause you to put on your sunglasses when you see it live and I think that you captured that well.

Don Railton
02-08-2014, 10:16 PM
I like this a lot Norm...! 'Crisp' as Dave suggests, can see it on my wall.. There are a few dust bunnies in the sky and I think a bit of NR might help remove a bit of the 'blotchy' texture in the sky ( although maybe this is the cloud??). Its subtle like the dust bunnies but a bit of extra work to remove these will lift further IMHO...

Regards

DON

dankearl
02-08-2014, 11:09 PM
It looks like you held the whites well to me.
A striking scene, makes me want to be there…..

Rachel Hollander
02-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Hi Norm - this is a beautiful, crisp scene as David said. Gorgeous blues too. I wanted to see what it looked like with just a little bit off the left to move the main subject a little off-center. While I had it in PS I did a luminosity mask for the highlights at 50% and a little LCE to bring out a little more detail. WDYT?

TFS,
Rachel

Norm Dulak
02-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. And Rachel, your adjustments are excellent! I really like your repost.

Norm

David Stephens
02-09-2014, 04:13 PM
Rachel, I really like your RP, but I'm torn about the aspect ratio, preferring Norm's original. The more I look, I think you're balances better, because it ends rather suddenly on the right and you bring a balance to that. I think, in this case, I'd give up my preferred aspect ratio of your balance in composition.

Rachel Hollander
02-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Thanks Norm. David, Norm can easily restore the aspect ratio by cropping some from the top as well.

Morkel Erasmus
02-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Rachel did what I wanted to do. I can appreciate it being that bright, but toning the brightest brights down reveals better detail and texture.
Nice handling of the colours and an effective simplistic composition.