PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Bronzed Coot

Judy Howle
02-06-2014, 10:38 PM
This was made in late afternoon. I used Topaz Clarity, Moku Hanga at lowered opacity and I think soft light mode, and 2 textures. The water actually had waves from a boat and was rippled like that and I painted over it to tone down the highlights a good bit.

Cheryl Slechta
02-07-2014, 09:01 AM
Hi, Judy, nice job with the filters. Dave loved his coots so he would have loved this one:S3:

Dennis Bishop
02-07-2014, 11:25 AM
I like the layout, the border, and the vegetation in the foreground. However, I'd offer two suggestions: Remove the flower head behind the coot's leg. Make the black less intense to show more detail in the shadows and the border.

Judy Howle
02-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Thanks Dennis. I'll see what I can do with it and at least remove the flower. But the border turned cobalt blue when I lowered the opacity with the blend mode I used that worked best. You can see a little of the blue now just from lowering it a little. And there's the fact that I like it like that. :w3

gary ellwein
02-07-2014, 11:57 PM
A fine example of the regal coot. The black head and white bill are nicely exposed. I like the texture

Nancy Bell
02-08-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm glad someone posted an image of a coot for this theme! As Cheryl mentions, Dave loved his coots. Awesome bkgd, & I like how the black smudges into the image. Really good lighting on the coot and I'm sure the original coot image is terrific.

Anita Bower
02-08-2014, 06:50 PM
That red eye captures my attention. I like it. Pleasing colors and frame. Nice look to the water. I wonder about darkening the bill and the layer of grass that is rather bright.

Jackie Schuknecht
02-09-2014, 11:00 AM
The red eye really captures my attention too. I think Dennis also made a couple of good suggestions. I really like the texture you have added.

Judy Howle
02-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks Jackie, and all who commented. I have tried to implement your suggestions. This will be it, running out of time for photo play. But don't hesitate to give an honest critique either way. :S3:

Nancy Bell
02-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Judy, I like the repost. Here the red eye really grabs my attention. I didn't realize just how bright the first image was until I saw this repost. And how much my eye was drawn to the bright grasses, away from the coot, in that first image.

Judy Howle
02-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Thanks Nancy!

LinzRiverBalmer
02-10-2014, 09:28 AM
Honestly not sure how to comment or critique for this theme week... Everything is so unique it's up to personal interpretation.

this is very well done, love it all except for the border.

Anita Bower
02-17-2014, 06:35 AM
Another win! Congratulations.