PDA

View Full Version : Worth upgrading Nikon 300mm

Iain Barker
02-06-2014, 02:09 PM
I currently use the older AF version of the Nikon 300mm F4 both with and without a teleconvertor and am wondering if it is worth upgrading this to the newer AFS version.
Has anyone any experience of both these lenses and is it worth the change. I know there will not be any real difference in image quality but I am interested the difference in auto focus for birds in flight etc.
I also notice some CA with my current lens I have have seem some comments that this is not an issue with the newer version.

Please let me now your thoughts.

Iain

Raybel Robles
02-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Hi Ian,

I don't know much about the old AF 300mm f4. But the current version it's a superb lens for the bucks. Fast, Light, very sharp and works great with the 1.4 TC. It does lack VR and you will have to be careful when changing lens since it doesn't have a back element. I currently purchased the 300mm f2.8 but I like the f4 so much that im willing to keep it.

Very good lens.

Iain Barker
02-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Thanks Raybel. The older version is good for the same reasons e.g. fast, light and sharp and it also works well with my 1.4x tc and I do love it. My main query is if I would gain anything with the afs autofocus on the newer version if it is not worth the extra cost of upgrading it.

Jerry van Dijk
02-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Hi Iain, Maybe it's good to know that a new version of this lens with VR has been rumoured for quite some time now. The patent has been filed by Nikon ages ago. Might be worth the wait.
I do hope that Nikon doesn't do the same thing with this lens as at did with other significant upgrades of older models (like recently with the 80-400), which is double the price, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Tim Harding
02-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Having recently upgraded my 300mm F4 to the newer AF-S model, my experience has been that the image quality is the same, but the AF is much faster and quieter. I find the AF does far less hunting on my D7100 than the older model did.

Iain Barker
02-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Thanks Tim thats just what I wanted to know. Hopefully I would see a similar speed improvement on my D7000. Also the closer focus range is also bonus for larger insects in the summer.
I think I will upgrade my lens and now just need to save up a bit first.

Thanks everyone for your advice.