PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Resurrection of a Species

Paul Lagasi
02-06-2014, 01:01 AM
The ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) is taking its collection of extinct birds out of storage to commemorate the opening of the museum, which coincided with the demise of the Passenger Pigeon. They have 153 stuffed extinct specimens and are allowing the public to view them for the first time in 34 years.

On Sept 1, 1914 — just 5½ months after the Royal Ontario Museum opened to the public for the first time — a bird named Martha passed away at the Cincinnati Zoo.

In the same article it is said that a US non-profit group known as Revive and Restore will remove DNA from one of the specimens and attempt to bring the Passenger Pigeon Back.....now wouldn't that be cool

There is one bird that I would like to see brought back from extinction, I have only seen this bird in a few museums but it is so colorful.

I tried to emulate a few of Dave's images I remember ...... it is a totally fabricated image, the body is from the London, Natural History Museum, the feet from a parakeet image I had and the background from Arizona.

I applied a painting effect and overlayed it with a B & W line drawing. I adjusted the opacity. Added a burnt edges action.

Ciao for now

Dennis Bishop
02-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Nice work on the image. I wouldn't have guessed that it hadn't all been captured in a single shot. There's a great contrast in textures, and I like the opposing lines of the parrot and the branches. The border you chose works very well with the texture of the branches.

Thanks for the information about the DNA and the passenger pigeon. I'm going to have to try to find out more about how they plan to do that.

Diane Miller
02-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Very well done!! I might wish for just a little more contrast on the head / chest region, but it's so nice I hesitate to suggest anything!!

Randall Farhy
02-06-2014, 11:08 PM
It's always interesting to read the story behind an image, thank you for taking the time to write it. The image is nicely done, the background reminds me of Milk Glass set in a metal frame, while the bird starts to take on the look of a stained glass artwork and the composite aspect

would've gotten by me had you not mentioned it. Good balance and composition. The only thing that hits the radar is the space between the tail feathers, it almost looks as if the program used didn't outline properly in that area due to the whitish/pinkish spot on the background.

Cheryl Slechta
02-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Hi, Paul, I never realized how beautiful Passenger Pigeons were. This is really so nice - hard to tell it's a composite but that's due to your careful work. I especially like the subtle ray of light shining on the head - I don't know if that was intentional or just serendipity but it adds a nice touch. The DNA project will be interesting as it unfolds.:S3:

Jackie Schuknecht
02-07-2014, 09:17 AM
I really like the processing Paul, and the burnt edges. I like the outline, similar to poster edges. I might consider branch removal or darkening on the branch behind the bird's head. Nice job.

Judy Howle
02-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Nice work Paul! I wouldn't have known it was a composite.

Anita Bower
02-09-2014, 08:08 AM
Interesting information about the exhibit and possibility of bringing back Passenger Pigeons. Not sure how I feel about the latter.
A creative creating here. I like the colors of this created bird. I wish the flower behind the bird, and the upper branch behind the head were not there. You did an amazing job of putting this birdie together.

LinzRiverBalmer
02-10-2014, 09:32 AM
Honestly not sure how to comment or critique for this theme week... Everything is so unique it's up to personal interpretation.

this one I wish there was more detail in the head of the bird, maybe more color or saturation.

the rest I quite like.