PDA

View Full Version : Looking into the Sun

Dvir Barkay
02-05-2014, 04:50 PM

I tried a different crop of the Long Eared Owl. Here he looked into the sun, probably hoping that it goes down so that he can go hunt. I know that the background is a bit busy but I am not one to clean that up. I wasn't sure if the crop worked so I am hoping for some feedback as my full body shot wasn't overly liked here.

Sony A77, Tokina 300/4
F/5.6, ISO 400, 70% of original

gail bisson
02-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Hi Dvir,
I will chime in.
Firstly, congrats on you and your dad's find. It must have been a thrill. And you are correct in saying that the evening light was beautiful.
The problem with this series of images is that the image is so contrasty and busy it really detracts.
It is very difficult to make such a shadowy image successful. I wonder if you could have moved so that the sun was at your back or just over your shoulder? You would have had better light directly on the owl and eliminated a lot of the clutter that is in the left side of the frame. Could you have gotten closer without disturbing the owl? This would also have eliminated a lot of the clutter.This would have helped a lot.
I know that sometimes I am so elated with finding a "never before shot" bird, that I lose my objective photographers' eye.
I love my image but no one else does because it just isn't a good shot.
The crop in your first image is better but the crop is not the issue.
You are correct in your assessment that very few comments= a picture that isn't liked. Most of us feel badly if we say we don't like an image and tend to critique and praise the ones we like.
Hope I don't come across as the wicked *itch of the East!:S3:
Keep posting and learning and I look forward to seeing you evolve and improve,
Gail

Dvir Barkay
02-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Thank you for the comment. Unfortunately there was no more room left of me, I walked back as much as I could. There was a frozen lake about 3 meters to the left and a tree. So I did my best getting as close and to the left as was possible. The funny part is that on naturescapes lots of people really liked it (first image because of the contrast) so it is interesting seeing the different opinions on different forums. I can edit out all the clutter and leave it a blank blue sky, but not sure about the ethics in that. I am always open to critics, as that is why we all posts the pictures I believe, if we didn't want others opinions there would be no need to post. So I am happy to get everyone's opinions. Next time I see an owl I will ask of it to pose better :) Again thanks for the critic/comment

btw I forgot to add that he is sitting about 4-5 meters in the tree so any closer would already be an angle looking up to the owl, and he would probably fly away so we tried best not to scare him off.

Diane Miller
02-05-2014, 07:03 PM
I think the vertical composition in your previous thread was more suited to the subject, and eliminated much of the distracting BG. Henry's RP in that thread reduced the contrast and brought out the bird a bit more. You don't say what your processing is, but the Shadows and Highlights sliders in ACR or LR can help greatly with the contrast. A RAW file always needs interpretation -- there is no pure "out of camera" -- and a JPEG isn't pure, either -- it is interpreted by the parameters you set in the camera. And the Auto settings are often really bad. So I'd say have a go at some RAW adjustments (whatever program you are using) and explore the possibilities, with both of those images.

In warm light such as this, dramatic as it is, it is easy to go too extreme. The camera can only guess at a color temp and sometimes it pays to look at other possibilities -- of course I don't know if you may have done that.

Also, if you are using ACR or LR, it can be a very good idea to go to the tab for Camera Calibration and try some of the settings there, assuming there are some for that camera -- I would expect so. I prefer to find less extreme settings and then boost them in the Basic settings, rather than try to undo an extreme setting.

Look forward to your further explorations!

Dvir Barkay
02-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Its a RAW file, the profile is a custom profile that is rather uncontrasty but gives the most accurate colors reproduction. I use ACR and CS6. I didn't touch any of the adjustments in RAW other than my 10 clarity/ 10 vibrance setting. I also liked the warm white balance as the scene was very warm so no change in that department. In photoshop I use NIK to lightly adjust the shot, a little contrast and burn/dodging. Than a tad bit of saturation, in this case +5 in photshop, and that is it. Very light editing, the RAW was just a little less contrast and different burn/dodging. I do little editing on my wildlife shots vs landscapes were I am more creative. I can post one of the RAW shots and see what you guys would do as it seems that my more contrasty editing is a bit too much for you guys/gals.

RAW file: Just downsized

Grace Scalzo
02-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Hello Dvir, Sure the image has its problems which have been pointed out, but I think it's got some strength as an image that shows the natural camoflauge of these owls. If it were mine, I would crop from the top and right, leaving the entire body in. (Did you cut off the base of the wing?) Clean up the branch intersecting his head, and then process very lightly. Don't do any big adjustments with contrast, warmth, etc. To my eye, that would leave you with a rather pleasing image of a camoflauged long eared owl and a great memory.