PDA

View Full Version : Royal Tern

Henry Domke
02-04-2014, 10:06 AM
I always enjoy watching terns fly past as I walk the beach on Sanibel. The only birds at the PGT (http://prairiegardentrust.org) that have such beautiful flight are the Barn Swallow and the American Kestrel but I've never been able to photograph one of them flying.

This image has a couple of potential problems. First I used an aperture of f/18. What was I thinking! However, it actually looks quite sharp so perhaps diffraction did not cause too much trouble. In retrospect however I should have opted for a higher shutter speed rather than a higher aperture.

Another potential problem is that the wings are cropped.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Canon 1DMk3
400 f/4 DO+1.4X TC
f/18
1/640 sec
ISO 1,250
Hand held
Processed with Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC

Stu Bowie
02-04-2014, 10:14 AM
Hi Henry, well exposed on the whites, and I like the fanned tail. It looks like the tern flew too close to you, apart from cutting the wings, F/18 didnt really help with the DOF either - too much glass. :w3

Diane Miller
02-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Nice exposure! I don't mind the clipped wings, as the dynamic pose suggests that the bird has come in fast and is very close.

Karl Egressy
02-04-2014, 07:05 PM
I like the image as is, Henry. F 18 is very unusual. Was it an accident?

Henry Domke
02-04-2014, 07:40 PM
F 18 is very unusual. Was it an accident?
I don't remember. I probably was just experimenting and saying "hey, what would happen on a bright day if I shot this at f/18?". I have to say the image really does look very sharp. Perhaps I should try f/18 again!?

MohsenVahedipour
02-05-2014, 03:06 AM
Sharp with lovely pose. Very good exposure. Regarding the Exif date & "Shutter priority" exposure mode, F18 has been selected by camera.