View Full Version : White Winged Dove

Freddy Franzella
05-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Canon Mark III
Canon 600mm F.4 IS
Gitzo 1327, Tripod, Wimberly Head II
F.5.6

Elephant Head Arizona

This was done a few weeks ago the reason for the large copyright. on the newer post I no longer use it. someone actually scolded me for using it.I will more then likely catch flak for the branch sticking into his chest.

Blake Shadle
05-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Freddy, what a great image! I'd really like to see this with a more traditional 3:2 aspect ratio (I like negative space :D) and I'd be extremely tempted to remove the part of the perch that's in shadow touching the bird's breast. Love the color, detail, and eye contact!

Dan Brown
05-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Freddie! Nice one. Yes, the dark branch could go! and the copyright is really drawing my eye. But the bird and BG are great! I have photographed and observed this species and I know that you captured a pose that is not uncommon but is fleeting. Good Work!

I have noticed that many of your posts are from Elephant Head. I haven't visited that area for years, is it still hard to reach?

Dan Brown,
Sacramento

Grace Scalzo
05-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Nice, Fred. I like the pose of the bird...makes you wonder what he's looking at. I learned the Quick Mask technique (APTATS-1 CD), would work well on the branch if it bothers you.

Steve Maxson
05-13-2008, 01:17 PM
A beautiful image, Freddy. Yup, the branch is bothering me, but that's my only nit. I like the pose and the composition, as presented.

Mike Tracy
05-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Pretty bird done well and I like the background.

Juan Aragonés
05-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Wow, that is what I call a nice perch! The BG is very nice and the bird is sharp, great eye contact and pose. I am not sure about the composition. I suggest a little more room at the bottom of the tail and more room at the right. I think that the signature of an image is a very personal choice but if this one was mine I woukd try to reduce the font size... too much big letters distracting the eye from the main subject. Don´t you agree? ;)

Blake Shadle
05-13-2008, 02:04 PM
I really like this image, and when that happens its hard for me to contain myself :D Added canvas to the right for close to a 3:2 aspect ratio, and evicted (as Al would say) the shadow branch.

Freddy Franzella
05-13-2008, 02:21 PM
I really like this image, and when that happens its hard for me to contain myself :D Added canvas to the right for close to a 3:2 aspect ratio, and evicted (as Al would say) the shadow branch.

That looks much better Blake! the one I did I removed the copyright.

Freddy Franzella
05-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Freddie! Nice one. Yes, the dark branch could go! and the copyright is really drawing my eye. But the bird and BG are great! I have photographed and observed this species and I know that you captured a pose that is not uncommon but is fleeting. Good Work!

I have noticed that many of your posts are from Elephant Head. I haven't visited that area for years, is it still hard to reach?

Dan Brown,
Sacramento

Dan I was staying in Green Valley which was 19 miles from his place. I would follow the person that was giving the workshop so it is hard to say. I did one afternoon use the GPS and it did get me back to my motel. if you go on the net and put Bill Forbes at Elephant his site will come up with address, phone, and directions. i belive if you put his address into a GPS you should have no problems.

Harold Davis
05-13-2008, 02:42 PM
beautiful bird with an excellent bg. love the eviction!! that blake did.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-13-2008, 03:17 PM
I like the attentive pose, perch and BG. Blake's repost makes it even better.

Steve Canuel
05-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Love the Chollo perch but agree with the now removed branch being removed. Excellent details and color in the subject.
Steve

Raymond Barlow
05-14-2008, 08:52 AM
very nice shot, and Blakes re-post looks very very good.