PDA

View Full Version : Poised right hook

Steve Kaluski
02-04-2014, 06:58 AM
This Little Owlet was just stretching out as it kept track on what it subsequently caught, a huge green caterpillar.

The dappled branches in the BKG are not ideal, but you have no control of where these guys are going to land or hang out, but happy it was slightly overcast.

Thanks to those who posted a reply or looked at the previous image. :wave:

Steve
Subject: Little owlet poised (Athene noctua)
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 500f/4
Exposure: 1/800s at f/9 ISO1250 +o.33 stop compensation

Karl Egressy
02-04-2014, 07:52 AM
This is very nice, Steve. Excellent pose with the right hook, nice eye contact and fine details. The color scheme is a little bit on the cool side, but it is probably the result of the lighting you had.
All in all it is excellent and funny at the same time.

David Salem
02-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Nice shot Steve. I like the focused stare and the raised foot. The perch looks great to me as dose the exposure and detail. Nice capture.

Stu Bowie
02-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Hi Steve, great balancing act here, the little guy isnt even using all of his left foot to hold onto the perch. The raised right foot takes this up a few notches as he contemplates how he is going to catch his juicy caterpillar. You did get that shot didnt you. :w3

Andy Shepherd
02-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Ey Up, Steve

It's a great pose from the owlet, and the detail in the feet and feathers is excellent. The 1DX must be a pleasure to use at high ISO.

keith mitchell
02-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Steve no prob's with the dappled BG,your Owlet is full of excellent detail and the raised foot just adds more interest, with a grip like that and those talons you would think it would puncture it's foot.

Keith.:S3:

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
02-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Very cool image Steve! The raised foot and the folded talons, superb details and nice DOF. Love it. TFS.

Steve Kaluski
02-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Thanks folks, not quite as atmospheric as the Snowy's or in the great light you have in the US/SA, but you have to make the best of what you have.

Andy, welcome :wave: I've been shooting with the 1Dx for almost 2 years now, getting the second one last year and boy, they make a huge difference especially with the ISO/IQ and the recent Firmware upgrade has just stretched it's legs. Guys here push it further than I do and the IQ is simply outstanding.

Joseph Przybyla
02-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Beautiful little owl, nicely shown. I like your light compared to what summer light is in Florida.

Holger Leyrer
02-04-2014, 03:08 PM
What for a image. The raised foot, like a fist, is super. THe focused stare, too. Love pose and details. Absolutly great.

Satish Ranadive
02-05-2014, 08:02 AM
Excellent action captured. I like the BG. Love the raised the foot and his expressions.

Regards,
Satish.

Ashleigh Scully
02-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Really like this anytime a subject is doing something interesting and you caught it very well.

Mervyn Marsh
02-06-2014, 02:17 AM
wow, love this photo