PDA

View Full Version : Theme Black Wildebeest

Morkel Erasmus
02-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Since nobody put their foot in the water to post the first THEME shot for February, I'm diving in.
If you don't know what I'm talking about - read HERE: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/117235-NEW-DEVELOPMENT-Themes

February theme is MY LOCAL WILDLIFE. Show us the creatures you have easy access to close to where you live or work.

This quirky and oddball Black Wildebeest was photographed at a nature reserve close to my parents' home in sweet morning light.

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
1.4x teleconverter
f5.6 | 1/320 SS | ISO-320

Ian Cassell
02-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Morkel, that is indeed a cool LOCAL bit of wildlife! I love the composition and the light is wonderful. I'm curious about the OOF animal in the BG - the antlers look different. Is it some other kind of antelope?

Morkel Erasmus
02-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Hey Ian - yes it's a "Blesbuck" :S3:

Rachel Hollander
02-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Hi Morkel - nice light and a good start to this month's theme. Excellent sharpness too despite the somewhat slow ss and movement of the wilde. I think you could open up the blacks and midtones slightly to get a little more detail. Good choice on the pano as well.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
02-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi Morkel, like the 'galloping' mode in this one and agree with Rachel, sharpness is there even at 1/320, but this in turn has created some nice blurring of the legs which is cool. I also like the side profile and raised mane. Although I'm away, looks a tad dark, moving the white slider to the left in Levels around 215 before it clips may help? Crop dovetails nicely with the action.

TFS
Steve

Rudi van den Heever
02-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Nice one Morkel! like the stride and inch of movement in the subject! Rietvlei always delivers! ;)

Stu Bowie
02-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Hi Mork, sweet, sweet light, and Im fine with the 'exposure' on my screen - the coat shows up nicely.

Before reading Rudi's comment, where else can we see black wildebeest in our back yard. :w3

Anette Mossbacher
02-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Hi Morkel,
I like the motion in this one also the light. Very nice indeed.Back yard, you have a big back yard, wait till I come with my European back yard :bg3:

Have a great week
Ciao Anette WebRep

currentVote

noRating
noWeight

Morkel Erasmus
02-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Thanks folks - Steve, good call, will play with levels...