PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Tribute to Dave

Randall Farhy
02-03-2014, 01:53 PM
When I visited Dave's website, some of the first images I came across were those of frogs.

This was taken and started back in 2011. I don't recall many of the steps but Topaz Adjust and Simplify were used along with Denoise. I remember spotting out a lot of specular highlights as flash was used and it created hotpots on the all of the water droplets present. Recent adjustments include split toning and adjustment tweaks in LR5. Additionally, a paper texture was added in PS, overlay with 75% opacity.

Dennis Bishop
02-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Very nicely done from the original shot to the final image. It has a great look and a wonderful assortment of elements. The leaf draped over the frog's eye is worth a lot of bonus points.

Paul Lagasi
02-03-2014, 04:32 PM
As I said in a previous thread, Dave love his animal images. He just had a way of expressing himself through effects and compositions, you just knew it was his work.
Your image is well done and composed, Dave would have loved this.

Cheryl Slechta
02-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Hi, Randall, Dave would have loved this! He loved frogs and animal expressions and you've given us both:S3: The "adornments" on the face are extra special.

Randall Farhy
02-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. It would have been nice to have met Dave through the forums, his work reveals a creative mind.

When I saw this little guy laying in wait with all of his "camo" elements seemingly placed "just so", it reminded me of the guillie suits that snipers wear when working in the jungle.

Diane Miller
02-03-2014, 11:44 PM
Love the vampy looking "camo" job!! Great shot (and treatment) of a great find!

I'm sorry I'm too new here to have "known" Dave, but it's wonderful his web site lives on for inspiration.

Randall Farhy
02-05-2014, 11:09 AM
In case anyone is curious, here's the original full frame file for this image. When I started work this back in 2011, it was brought to my attention via critique that only one of the eyes was in focus. Because of this it was shelved until seeing Dave's work inspired me to revisit it. I do have a capture with both eyes in the focal plane, but the nose isn't quite as crisp. Perhaps I'll go back to it and create another version at some point in the future using the 2nd file. (having saved only a few of the steps used, it won't be exactly the same but that's ok).

Diane Miller
02-05-2014, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure who would expect that back eye to be in focus, although it certainly doesn't look bad to me. The image is sharp where needed, as the saying goes. And the treatment worked really well.

Cheryl Slechta
02-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Hi, Randall, Dave would have liked the original also:S3:

Jackie Schuknecht
02-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Great processing Randall, it looks quite like an illustration to me. I think Dave would have love the draped leaf over the eye, kind of like a flower (for a hippie frog):bg3:!

LinzRiverBalmer
02-10-2014, 09:39 AM
Ooh this might fight to be my favorite this week.... Love all the foliage and the frogs placement.

great composition and treatment

Judy Howle
02-15-2014, 06:47 PM
I missed this when you first posted it because I was not on the forum much then. It's a very interesting pose of the frog and I really like your filter work. Well done!

Anita Bower
02-17-2014, 06:35 AM
Congratulations for win!