PDA

View Full Version : Orchid

Ron Conlon
02-02-2014, 01:37 PM
The Cleveland Botanical Garden hosts an annual Orchidmania.

Nikon D5100 100mm f/9 1/200s flash with diffuser.

Steve Maxson
02-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi Ron. This image has a nice mix of colors, an interesting abstract feel, and I like the comp. Also, the diffuser did a nice job with the flash. In my view (personal preference), I think the image would be even stronger with a little more DOF in the areas that are currently sharp. It will be interesting to hear what others have to say. :S3:

Ron Conlon
02-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Thanks, Steve.
Once I opened it on the computer I too had the same wish for greater depth of field. I wish I had brought my tripod (which would have allowed for more careful assessment of what I was capturing). This event had been a photographic scrum in previous years, so I opted for mobility this time. Given the weather we have been experiencing, I thought everyone would be as desperate as I for chance to break out the cameras, but it was lightly attended for some reason. Thanks again.

Diane Miller
02-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Did you experiment with different perspectives? You did a very nice job diffusing the flash, but for me, with this composition the large empty space in the center serves to block a connection between the upper and lower elements.

Ron Conlon
02-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Justifying/explaining my choice for composition where it isn't a object on a background is hard. I have as a frequent goal to get away from figure on ground, but am only sometimes happy with the result. I haven't found rules yet for what makes me satisfied with my efforts.
Orchids (not of the phalaenopsis scape variety) I find disconcerting. The colors frequently are vivid and their combinations startling. The patterns are complex and bewildering. And some orchids lead to compositions with more than a whiff of Georgia O'Keefe. I wanted to avoid these things and to simplify and keep it abstract.

All of which is a lot of blather for: I wanted to keep it abstract and emphasize the colors…incorporating more of the flower made it look too much like a flower.

Diane Miller
02-05-2014, 04:00 PM
A worthy goal! I've seen many compositions that fulfill that artistic vision (and orchids are difficult) but I'm wondering if there are other just slightly different possibilities in this flower -- not so different as to include the whole flower or any part of a BG. Perhaps if the lovely top area of mauve filled a little more of the frame, and the white piece had a more biting sharpness to contrast with the softness elsewhere? Just thinking out loud....

Ron Conlon
02-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Thanks for explaining more fully some possibilities. I wish that I had spent more time with this orchid. Unfortunately this was the only shot I took of it, and this is full frame. If I can find the time I will go back to the exhibition and explore some more.

Looking deep inside orchids is an interesting experience distinct from looking at more typical or "pretty" flowers.

The backgrounds at the botanical gardens are not ideal, and beyond my control. Thus I will probably try more part-orchid compositions. The difficulties: framing only part of an orchid can lead to big challenges for DOF without stacking; some of them have quite coarse appearances when seen close up.

Mitch Haimov
02-05-2014, 11:13 PM
I very much enjoy abstract flower macro images with very shallow DOF, so this has the potential to be right up my alley. The combination of colors works well, but overall this one is not really working for me. I think this results from a combination of two things: Too much DOF and (the transition from sharp to OOF is too gradual and the OOF areas are not OOF enough) and the sharp area does not have enough texture or detail to hold my interest, so my eye wanders about looking for something to lock onto. IMHO you would have been better off at f/4 or below or maybe f/16+. Clearly the former would be more workable for a HH image. A lot of potential here, so if you do go back, play around with compositions, focal points, and DOF.

Ron Conlon
02-06-2014, 07:01 AM
Excellent points, Mitch.

Jonathan Ashton
02-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Good idea but I didn't find anything to concentrate on, nothing is very sharp or particularly detailed. Maybe worthwhile checking focal point.

Jerry van Dijk
02-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Hi Ron, the trick with these images is to find something in the structure to get sharp, in order to lead the eye into the image, or that can serve as a point to 'anchor' the image. Usually curved edges work well, or in the case of these orchids, the central 'bulge', which can take all kinds of interesting forms.
To get some ideas of how to approach this, try searching this forum on orchids. I can remember there have been quite a few abstract orchids in the past.

Ron Conlon
02-15-2014, 06:28 PM
I guess what I would like is a strategy for compositions which lack focal point but which are still successful. I have seen photos like that which force the eye to roam but which still work, and work tremendously well because of it. A trivial example would be a burst of blurry birds taking flight, filling the frame--but I call it trivial because it works since we have seen a number of shots of the same genre and we say, "yes, that is a good example of the genre." It seems to me that the bright colors of flowers offer an opportunity to engage the eye with great compositions which lack a focal point. I know the photo I posted doesn't achieve what I want, but it takes me part of the way there.