PDA

View Full Version : Tufted Duck - 5D mkiii test

Simon Wantling
02-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Hi all, Not been on here for a while due to family issues to sort out. As a treat I decided to upgrade from my 7D to the 5D mmiii and boy what a camera. The AF is simply stunning as a lot of you guys probably already know. The difference from my 7D which I've never been happy with and convinced I had a bad model is amazing. Anyway, I took a local trip out today to try and get my head around the new camera. I wasn't expecting the difference between a full frame camera and a crop sensor, but I do think despite having to crop back a bit the image quality is better with finer detail and i'm sure if I can get in close and fill the frame then the 5d will shine and its great to be able to wind up the ISO without worrying about noise levels.

The image below was taken at a 1000mm using a 2X converter so I feel its pretty good. F8, 1/4000, ISO1600

Sidharth Kodikal
02-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Congrats on the new toy, Simon. It's a great camera by all accounts.
Lovely exposure and sharp details. I'm especially enjoying the rich details on the white belly.
While the bird angle isn't bad, I wish the bird or the head was angled a bit more toward us.
It's great 5D3 can do ISO 1600 without breaking much of a sweat, but I would've traded that high SS for lower ISO/higher aperture (given the 2x).

gail bisson
02-02-2014, 01:43 PM
You will love your new camera.
Good low POV and I am OK with HA.
Nice to see the tuft so well defined.
Good work with the 2X.
Gail

Karl Egressy
02-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Excellent picture, nice low angle and IQ.
I did get mine not too long ago and I'm still in the process of learning the new feel.
So far I'm very happy, IQ and AF are excellent.

Simon Wantling
02-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Thanks very much for the comments and I agree I should have lowered the ISO given the shutter speed. I'm really pleased with the IQ from the camera and can't wait to get out again next week - assuming we get some decent light here in the UK which for what seems an age, has been few and far between.

Diane Miller
02-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Nice shot! But like any camera, you don't have leeway to underexpose and then try to bring it up -- you'll get noise. If you can "expose to the right" without blowing out highlights you're in good shape.