PDA

View Full Version : Long Lens Technique

David N Smith
02-01-2014, 06:27 PM
I have learned so much since joining this forum and my bird photography has improved greatly now I need more help. I have read that when using super telephoto lenses poor technique can cause poor IQ. What is the proper technique for ST's or where can I find tutorials on using them? I know to a lot of you the technique is now second nature but to some of us it is not because we have been using the wrong technique for all lenses but on the shorter ones it doesn't matter as much.

Thanks in advance for your input.

David

Daniel Cadieux
02-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Man, a whole book could be written about this! Tripod or handheld? To start you off on the right path, here is an article Artie wrote for a magazine that breaks it down in basic steps:

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/how-to/shooting/long-lens-tips-and-techniques.html

P.S. Poor technique can result in poor IQ with any lens, not just the super teles:S3:

David N Smith
02-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Thanks Daniel. I know poor technique can result in poor IQ in any lens, it just shows up more the longer the lens.

David

arash_hazeghi
02-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Hi David,

are you planning on using the lens handhold or on tripod?

David N Smith
02-01-2014, 08:55 PM
Hi David,

are you planning on using the lens handhold or on tripod?

Arash,
I will be doing both, handheld for birds in flight and tripod for a lot of static wildlife.

David

arash_hazeghi
02-01-2014, 09:11 PM
which lens will you be using?

David N Smith
02-01-2014, 09:41 PM
which lens will you be using?
I am not sure at this point. I am either going to buy the 100-400L or the new Tamron 150-600 depending on the reviews and if I can get one to use. I currently have a Canon 60D which is probably not the best for BIF photography.

David

arash_hazeghi
02-01-2014, 10:19 PM
I am not sure at this point. I am either going to buy the 100-400L or the new Tamron 150-600 depending on the reviews and if I can get one to use. I currently have a Canon 60D which is probably not the best for BIF photography.

David

Hi David,

The Canon 100-400 is a very light lens you don't need a tripod for it unless you want to shoot at very slow shutter speeds. Daniel uses one. You can handhold all the time, for slower shutter speeds IS will help you.

When you read about super telephoto technique it refers to super telephoto lenses such as the 500 and 600 f/4 which are a lot bigger/heavier and require more elaborate technique for holding steady and panning. The light lenses are a lot easier.

best

David N Smith
02-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Thanks again for your input. I don't see me getting anything in the Canon line bigger than the 100-400L because of budget constraints but the Tamron looks promising but I know the IQ will not be up to par with the "L" lenses and I doubt if I can recover that much in PP, but I do have your e-book on noise reduction and it has helped along with Artie's e-book on DPP.

David