PDA

View Full Version : European Green Woodpecker

Holger Leyrer
01-31-2014, 03:19 PM
Hello,

yesterday, a new guest was on my bird feeding place. This is is my first picture of a Green Woodpecker

Canon 1D MKIV * Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM * f/6.3 * 1/2000s * ISO 800 * Berlebach Wood-Tripod * Sachtler Fluid Head

All comments welcome

David Salem
01-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Wow Holger, that's an awesome looking WP. The black mask, the red head, the green back and that cool black and white pinstripe on the sides of the wings looks great. Your perch and pose looks real nice too. I might brighten the image up a little. Nice work.

Gary Kinard
01-31-2014, 09:18 PM
Ditto, what David said. Beautiful bird.

MohsenVahedipour
02-01-2014, 01:22 AM
Great species for sure. You should be so lucky to have this woodpecker in the lower part of the perch. Very well done.

Richard Unsworth
02-01-2014, 05:29 AM
Ah one of my favourite birds, one I see a lot but never got a frame as good as this. Great design, detail and perch
good work

Frank Schauf
02-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Excellent shot with a great perch.

Stu Bowie
02-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Hi Holger, lovely colours on this woodpecker, sharp, and I like the diagonal perch running through the frame. I agree with David, lightening the image a touch more wont harm it.

Arthur Morris
02-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Super sharp as always from you. Brightness and EXP look fine. Killer beautiful bird. Some might find the light strip along the bottom a bit distracting... Perhaps rearranging the perch might eliminate that problem. Was the bird attracted with food?

Holger Leyrer
02-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Thank you all feedback.

Some might find the light strip along the bottom a bit distracting... .
At first I thought the same. But the snow was there and so it is ok.

Was the bird attracted with food?
I have peanuts and sunflower seeds on my bird feeding place. But in the short period (two minutes) in which he was on bird feeding place he has not eaten.

Sidharth Kodikal
02-01-2014, 08:14 PM
What a pretty wood pecker. The colors are just gorgeous. Nice diagonal perch framing and size relative to the bird. Nicely done Holger

Arthur Morris
02-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Thank you all feedback.

At first I thought the same. But the snow was there and so it is ok.

Holger. Lots of things that are reality or of course OK. I like reality. But sometimes what is can be distracting in an image..... If we photograph a bird buried in the branches of a tree so badly that we can barely see it, we are photographing what is. But that does not make it a good photograph. My preference here would be to have chosen a perspective that would have eliminated the snow, real as it is :)