PDA

View Full Version : Northern Cardinal, male

Bret Goddard
01-31-2014, 02:43 PM
Hello again everyone, another of my friends from my little backyard. One of the Cardinals that are numerous here. As usual, He lives in the bamboo that is in the bottom of the yard.
Taken 12/18/2010, near midday. I remember this day, a slightly cloudy buy very cold day. I have found that male CardinalsI when like this one, freshly molted and very red are best shot on cloudy days, just not too cloudy, lol. I have many many Cardinal pictures over the years, this one likely my best one. My favorite bird I think. They have come very close to feeding from my hand, a dream of mine. Living in the middle of suburbia though, all of my friends out back are very skittish. In the winter, there are 15 - 20 pairs waiting for me to show up after work for a bite before bedtime.
1/320
f/8
ISO 400
EF400f/2.8 IS w/2xtc
Canon 7D
Tripod, no flash, (never use a flash)
Manual setting
Thanks for looking in.

Henry Domke
01-31-2014, 03:14 PM
Good color in the bird and the background.
Excellent feather detail
It might look better if the bill were turned more so that it extended beyond the curve of the body.
The head angle is tilted which makes the image feel tilted even though I don't think it is.
My preference would be for a natural post as opposed to a piece of lumber.

Stu Bowie
02-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Hi Bret, I like the inquisitive pose, and you have shown up the finer plumage nicely. Striking reds, good eye, and if this were mine, I would 'level' the perch.

You are fortunate to have these guys in numbers in your own back yard. :w3

Arthur Morris
02-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Yes to the sweet, inquisitive pose. Is the bird coming to a feeder? The grey area in front of the bird is mildly distracting.

Bret Goddard
02-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Thanks very much Henry for the reply. You are indeed correct about the lumber I for now still use as a perch, come spring i imagine many of my perches will be different. It is easy to see how a small change makes such a difference. I used to think this was as good as I could get, lol, I will learn in time, appreciate your help. Thanks again!

Thanks Stuart, greatly appreciated. You are correct about how many I have here, nice to see them all in the bushes, little red spots all over. They usually greet me on very cold days as I get out of my truck when the feeders have been raided by the tree Rats that I have yet to stop, hah, never will I believe. I am finding more and more little problems with most if not all of my shots that I did not see before I joined here, a good thing, Thanks very much again.

Thank You kindly Arthur, yes I am sure He was, they have quite a buffet to pick from if they can beat the Squirrels to any of the feeders set up. Like I mentioned above, on the grey spot, (part of a house across the way), I have found many different large or small problems with my shots since joining here, a very high standard here, I will get better as I learn from all of the shots here, as I said, a very high standard it is here, Thanks very much once again.

Thanks everyone for looking in,
Bret

Arthur Morris
02-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Hi Ben,

We look forward to seeing your improved images here. Thanks for being open to honest critiques. With a good attitude your work will improve by leaps and bounds.