PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the Ewaso Nyiro

Martin Dunn
01-30-2014, 07:06 AM

I spotted this small group of elephants just as they started to cross the Ewaso Nyiro river in Samburu.
By the time we had managed to reach a suitable vantage point for photographs they were emerging on the other bank.

Nikon D300s
Sigma 120-400mm zoom lens @270mm
1/1000s
f9

Handheld from safari vehicle
RAW conversion in Nikon Capture.
sharpening and saved for web in Elements.

Rachel Hollander
01-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Hi Martin - classic scene. Too bad you couldn't get to a good vantage point just a few seconds earlier so that the mound did not come into play and perhaps the angle of the eles would have been better. I haven't been to Samburu but presume the reds are accurate. Looking at the far bank and the water, perhaps a slight amount of ccw rotation is in order?

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
02-04-2014, 05:21 PM
A nice scene from an area I'd love to visit, Martin. I concur with Rachel on placement/angle (no deal-breakers, but in an ideal world for sure) and on the suggested rotation.
Light is harsh but that's the time our gentle giants are usually on the move and active...

Robert Kimbrell
02-08-2014, 09:47 PM
A beautiful scene Martin. I like the wide view that takes in so much of the landscape. I also wish you were there a few secs earlier.

Don Railton
02-09-2014, 04:35 AM
Hi Martin,

I too like the fact that you have included a lot of the landscape with the Elephant, it makes for cracker of an image IMHO... With softer light this could also do well in the landscape forum... It's good to put the wildlife in context, thanks for that...

regards
DON