PDA

View Full Version : Dune Lionesses

Rudi van den Heever
01-29-2014, 04:15 PM
We returned to the Kagalagadi Transfrontier Park in South Africa after more than a year since our last visit (had to see the first new member of the family through his first year:e3). On our first morning drive in the park this pride greeted us just after we passed through the Tweerivieren Rest Camp's gate... I waited for the rising sun to change the kalahari dunes into that magical red, but the soft light added a different dimension to the scene. The image is full frame but for the crop to straighten the horison and to cut some of the empty sky...

Equipment: Canon 7D and 500mm F4 L lens
Settings: F4 at 1/500s and ISO 800 with exposure compensation of +2/3

Loi Nguyen
01-30-2014, 01:36 AM
Rudi, beautiful, magical light. I'm amazed that you got such a good DOF at F 4. Love the green vegetation in contrast with the red dirt. TFS. Loi

Rachel Hollander
01-30-2014, 07:39 AM
Hi Rudi - love the red sands and the inclusion of the vegetation works here. I know the lions of the area tend to be darker but there seems to be some blue on the lionesses, particularly the tails.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
02-04-2014, 04:03 PM
A lovely summer Kalahari scene with the yellow wildflowers on the dune, Rudi.
Nice choice on the pano presentation - looks like the Rooiputs/Leeuwdril area?
I agree with Rachel on the hint of blue, easy fix for you. I am looking forward to seeing more of your recent trip's images! :5

Rudi van den Heever
02-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Thanks guys!

I already reduced the blues to -35% in LR, but once again had a look and suppose I will have to go for less blue in the tail area and sacrifice the shrubs in the right bottom - with less blue its seems a bit less than its natural colour, so suppose it is lioness vs shrub... :e3

Morkel Erasmus
02-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Why not do selective adjustments to the lioness only? I know those shrubs look quite blue in soft light like this.