PDA

View Full Version : Floral Throat

John Cooper
05-13-2008, 12:47 AM
This is a first for me, F5.6 instead of F22 :confused:
Not sure if it works - I tend to get the vertigo when I look at it :(
But at least this forum has me looking outside the square :)

Canon 5D, Canon 180mm macro, 1/40 F5.6, ISO 400, Natural light, Tripod, Plamp.

John Cooper
05-13-2008, 01:03 AM
This is a first for me, F5.6 instead of F22 :confused:
Not sure if it works - I tend to get the vertigo when I look at it :(
But at least this forum has me looking outside the square :)

Canon 5D, Canon 180mm macro, 1/40 F5.6, ISO 400, Natural light, Tripod, Plamp.

Julie Kenward
05-13-2008, 08:03 AM
I really like it but it does tend to draw my eye down. Have you thought about inverting the entire image?

Alfred Forns
05-13-2008, 09:17 AM
HI John I do like the wide open concept but have to agree with Julie. I think it is tight at the top and too much room to roam at the bottom.

Julie I think if we turn it upside down we might be saying the eye is drawn up :)

Tried something see if it looks any better?

Mary Stamper
05-13-2008, 04:47 PM
I think it's perfect for me the way it is. I love the 3D effect created by the way the in-focus stamens seem to float up off the background, and way you first encounter the stamens and then are led down into the throat of the plant. Personally, I prefer these dynamic images that make your eye wander around them, over static ones that make you fixate on some very specific "subject".

John Cooper
05-14-2008, 02:36 AM
I think it's perfect for me the way it is. I love the 3D effect created by the way the in-focus stamens seem to float up off the background, and way you first encounter the stamens and then are led down into the throat of the plant. Personally, I prefer these dynamic images that make your eye wander around them, over static ones that make you fixate on some very specific "subject".

Many thanks Mary, Al and Julie for your comments - I will persevere with more flora studies!!!

Ed Vatza
05-14-2008, 05:08 AM
I can appreciate the 5.6, John. Every time I post an image made at something in the 2.8 to 5.6 range on another board, I get the standard oof comment. But heck, focus isn't all its cracked up to be. ;) I like the selective focus on the stamens here. The flower petals in the background could stand to be "blurred" even more - kinda along the lines of what Al did. Keep exploring that wide open end of the aperture continuum! :)