PDA

View Full Version : Red-bellied Woodpecker

Bret Goddard
01-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Hello everyone, One of a pair that were here a couple years ago. They came to have a bite of suet that was hidden on this old branch just out of sight. The tail is clipped, almost full frame but He was so close and had center focus set, I lost my sights, (mind) on the eye. I almost always have my settings at one stop under, when ever I set in the center, all of my shots are just too hot. Plus I also tend to like a darker look and think, in my sometimes feeble mind that it produces better detail and less hotspots. Taken in my backyard. Please feel free to let me know if there is anything I am doing or not anything I should or should not, I tend to learn slowly at most times but eventually figure the easy things out. C&C Welcome
1/640
f/8.0
ISO 200
800mm
Tripod
Manual
8.7m away
taken at about midday 04/12
:e3

Karl Egressy
01-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Nice bird for sure. I also like the colors, nice smooth background and the patterned perch.
The crop is a little tight as you mentioned.
I also think that it would have been better to have the bird closer to the bottom of the frame.
Obviously you did the best you could in the situation you had.
Back focusing comes handy when you have to quickly recompose in camera.

Rob Melone
01-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Very nice frame-filling capture here Bret! Love the colors.

Duane Noblick
01-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Bret...I think you need to keep doing what you're doing. There has always been "something" about your images that I can never put my finger on but the detail is always amazing. I think the shadows add a lot of interest to the image and gives it a unique look. Love the eye in this one and would have loved to see the entire bird. Well done.