PDA

View Full Version : Swainson's Launch

Paul Lagasi
01-27-2014, 08:47 PM
I hadn't used Pixel Bender in a while and when organizing my files I found this image. Pixel Bender was the way to go..
I had taken this photo in 2011 in Alberta's badlands, I saw this bird on a fencepost while I was walking down a road towards my car.
It let me get fairly close before launching itself for parts unknown.

I used pixel bender "oilpaint"
Thanks for looking

David Kenny
01-27-2014, 09:02 PM
Paul,

Very nice processing on this one. Pixel Bender really gives it a cool look. I am sure your other shots of this launch were good as well.

- Dave

Dennis Bishop
01-27-2014, 11:56 PM
The border and background colors work nicely with the colors of the hawk. This was a good application for Pixel Bender oil paint.

LinzRiverBalmer
01-28-2014, 03:15 AM
This is quite beautiful, nice shot too, so hard to get these birds totally in frame when they do fly off, I usually miss a beak, a leg, a wing, etc.

Would love to see the original just to see what pixel bender enabled here.

Cheryl Slechta
01-28-2014, 06:29 AM
Hi, Paul, I'm sure it was a great base image. Just enough PB on both the bird and the background. Great pose also:S3:

Paul Lagasi
01-28-2014, 01:16 PM
Thank You for your post
The original is would have been lovely except for the time of day, I had to boost the ISO on that old camera and it almost froze the action, there is just a slight blur and heavy noise. I shoot everything handheld. always have.
At least to me, there is. Maybe I am a bit too picky, but the avian forum has a way of doing that :tinysmile_shy_t:. Here's the original for you to see.

Anita Bower
01-28-2014, 06:16 PM
Love the position of the bird's wings, feet, head. I can feel it flying. The Pixel Bender application is almost too strong. Beautiful colors. Lovely work.

Jackie Schuknecht
01-29-2014, 10:56 AM
Love the colour palette. The BG is funky, but I like it! Too bad you couldn't have used the original, the wings are much sharper. In fact it looks pretty all around, but hard to tell from the jpeg.

Paul Lagasi
02-01-2014, 03:21 PM
You know its funny, I looked at image in frame 6 for a few days and thought wow is it ever nice compared to the Pixel Bender image.

Just now I realized that I had experienced a senior moment...the image above is a totally different image than the image in frame 1.

:Whoa!:

Cheryl Slechta
02-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Hey, Paul, I wondered why you thought that the original image was so bad - I would have kept it:S3: