01-27-2014, 04:45 PM
Hi -

Canon EOS 5D MIII
Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Handheld

ISO 1000
f/8
1/1000s

I cropped some oof branches from the left side and did some minor sharpening. The fox was tilted slightly downhill and I am wondering if you think I should level this image out.

Thanks! :wave:

Rachel Hollander
01-27-2014, 07:41 PM
Hi Ashleigh - Before reading your comment my initial reaction was that it needed a little bit of cw rotation but I thought it was due to the front legs sinking further in the snow. I would still rotate it slightly. Nice job with the exposure, details and sharpness. Color looks good too. Just watch the halos on the side of the legs, more visible on the rear legs. Great fluffy tail. One thing to think about in the field is trying not to have a branch or tree coming out of the head. It's not a huge issue here and it's not always possible to avoid but if you could have moved one way or the other you might have been able to avoid it in this instance. There's a speck of branch coming in at the bottom right corner that I would remove. Overall, very well done. Keep them coming.

TFS,
Rachel

John Robinson
01-27-2014, 08:03 PM
I reckon thats a real "shot in the wild" Ashliegh Great stuff - maybe a bit big in the frame but not sure of the crop factor.
Pics like this when not from setups(assuming its not !) are not that easy as you dont have the time to think about minor points. Was it from a hide or vehicle ? The branch out of the ear does make you look once its been mentioned. Easily fixed if you want to. I can't see any halos on the posted pic but maybe my gear and I haven't blown it up. I,ll have a look.
I love it ! Not seen a fox pic with an expression or position before.
Cheers
John

Ashleigh Scully
01-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Hi thank you for your advice. I didn't notice the branch but now I understand. Will try to fix it also the one in the right corner.

I'm also going to try to make the fox smaller in the frame.

Yes this is a wild fox in a state park in NJ. It's sad because some people must have been feeding it because she is used to people too much. I took over 400 photos of her so a lot more to share. She is so pretty!

thank you again, Ashleigh

christopher galeski
01-28-2014, 02:52 AM
nice capture Ashleigh,sharp with good detail.

Steve Kaluski
01-28-2014, 03:52 AM
Hi Ashleigh, good for you in getting out there and the snow provides a nice platform to set this fox off very nicely.

I like the look back pose and the fact you have an excellent side profile showing the fox off at it's best, looks in great condition. Colour looks good and having the right embedded profile as you have makes a huge difference. I agree with Rachel about the branch coming out from the head, not always easy 'in the field', but you will pick up on this as you spend more time out and will start to look out for this when you compose your shots. Personally I feel having a bit more detail in the snow helps, it's there, just needs a little coaxing. I also might suggest darkening slightly the top half using a Graduate filter, just makes the subject pop more, likewise perhaps 15-20 Vibrance on the fox? The halo is an easy fix.

Nice work. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
01-28-2014, 02:46 PM
You've received some nice suggestions already, Ashleigh. I would personally have liked a bit more space/snow at the bottom and less of the busy foliage at the top (not sure what your original file looks like space-wise). I like the pose and excellent detail you obtained. I'd sharpen the face some more as well...can it take a hint more midtone contrast perhaps?

edwardselfe
01-31-2014, 03:12 AM
Beautiful - I'd like to see a little more space all round if you have it. Just looks a little tight to me especially in front and at the bottom. Gorgeous image though with so much detail. Ed