PDA

View Full Version : January rainforest.

dankearl
01-27-2014, 12:37 AM
An incredibly sunny and dry Northwest US winter.
Sorry for the rest of you as it is day after day of 50 and sunshine.
We will ration water all summer…..
This is Middle North Falls in the Oregon Cascade foothills.
A beautiful falls in a land of big falls, A first time for me, only an hour away.
All lush foliage dead for the winter, only Moss survives……
For perspective, my wife is to the left of the falls by the large tree.

f16, iso100, 1.6 sec, 25mm, D800

002_3174bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=137162&stc=1&d=1390800981)

Luis Patacao
01-27-2014, 04:34 AM
Hi Dan, lovely waterfall, as for the rest, did you try this one in vertical? I believe it would look great. I like the exposure time you´ve applied but i`m not sure about the space at the top of the waterfall, seem tight to me.

David Kenny
01-27-2014, 08:14 AM
Dan,

I really like how you included the mossy ledge in the foreground and the person on the trail in the background. It really adds scale to the size of the falls. Did you use a GND or Manually blend two exposures? I only ask because IMHO the area in the trees on the left of the photo to the top left of the falls looks like it has some lighter areas that may have been hand blended that draw my attention.

- Dave

dankearl
01-27-2014, 09:59 AM
David, no, this is a single exposure.
Sunny days with very shady canyons make for some bad contrast.
The upper area was in the sunshine and I attempted to tone it down.
Luis comment about it being tight was done for the same reason.
Bright sunny forest above the top of the falls.
I am usually shooting in cloudy misty weather in Oregon, I really don't like the
sun much for photography.

David Stephens
01-27-2014, 11:42 AM
I love the choice of SS in this case, to smooth the falls, but not too much. The moss in the foreground and the light in the upper BG really balance out a really nice image.

Dvir Barkay
01-27-2014, 05:13 PM
Intresting shot, the blur on the falls is fantastic, my only real gripe is the fact that it is in the shadow, and so not too much contrast. Also maybe a bit more room at the top.

Andrew McLachlan
01-28-2014, 08:54 PM
Hi Dan, I like the sense of scale that you have created by including your wife in the composition. I think you handled / toned down the sunlight area above the falls nicely as well. The one thing that does bug me is the log on the top edge of the frame, but don't see how you could have framed the scene without it there...other than going to a vertical as an alternate. Overall very nicely done!

Morkel Erasmus
02-02-2014, 08:03 AM
Hey Dan. A lovely scene, and the human adds some neat scaling here (took my a while to spot him/her).
I felt it lacked a bit of punch so I burned shadows, dodged midtones and highlights and added some tonal contrast in this repost. WDYT? Too much?

Terry Johnson
02-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Dan, this looks like Silver Falls State Park. A great place to go when the colors are in full display.

Morkel, I like what you did...Terry Johnson