PDA

View Full Version : Theme - Summer Tanager

Judy Howle
01-26-2014, 08:55 PM
Small bird, and in the frame of the window. :w3I used Topaz Adjust first, then Aquarella and HDR from JixiPix and I used Alien Skin Exposure on various layers and opacities. I just printed one at 8 x 10 to sell at the arts center, looks good! This is a very old photo probably with the 20D. The bird was nesting inside the shed going in thru the broken window. I was at a luncheon at a friend's house and we were eating outside. When I saw the tanager, only the 2nd one I'd ever seen, I jumped up leaving my dessert and started making pictures! I only had my 17 - 85 lens with me and this was about as close as I could get without spooking it. It is cropped some to get rid of distracting elements. Wish I'd had my 100 - 400!

Hazel Grant
01-26-2014, 10:20 PM
I had wondered what that theme meant. Clearer now. Fits the idea perfectly. Yes, the big lens would have caught the bird sharper, but then you wouldnt have that wonderful surround.

Judy Howle
01-26-2014, 10:57 PM
Thanks Hazel. I'm not sure that is what small in the frame usually refers to but on this forum themes are usually open to interpretation :w3

Mitch Carucci
01-27-2014, 06:01 AM
I really like this small bird in a large setting. If you had the 100-400mm with you, you might have ignored this charming composition and just zooming in.

Dennis Bishop
01-27-2014, 08:35 AM
I like the range of colors and textures. And the story that goes along with it.

Judy Howle
01-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks Mitch and Dennis! Yes, I agree this comp is more interesting than just a close-up shot.

Cheryl Slechta
01-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Hi, Judy, I changed the title to a theme entry. I would have jumped up from dessert also:S3:

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
01-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Judy,

Greetings. Really like that small in frame idea and particularly like the geometry of the composition. The color, too, is striking. I wonder though, if you pulled back a might on the reds if a little more feather detail might show. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Judy Howle
01-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Thank you Cheryl!! I can't believe I forgot to do that.

Hi, Judy, I changed the title to a theme entry. I would have jumped up from dessert also:S3:

Judy Howle
01-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Thanks Michael. The art filters I used wiped out the feather detail and there wasn't much to begin with since it was made with the 8 mp 20D from quite a distance.

Judy,

Greetings. Really like that small in frame idea and particularly like the geometry of the composition. The color, too, is striking. I wonder though, if you pulled back a might on the reds if a little more feather detail might show. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Paul Lagasi
01-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Nice work, very right for the theme., the broken glass and wood frame are lovely...Well doen

Randall Farhy
01-27-2014, 09:28 PM
What a fun image, I actually think the lack of detail in the bird enhances the overall feel of this creative piece. I really like this one-it has the feel of an illustration.

LinzRiverBalmer
01-28-2014, 03:30 AM
lovely details in the surrounding composition additives, makes the "smoothness" of the bird shine actually and I like that its almost opposites, lots of details elsewhere to the smoothness of the bird. Nice use of the theme.

Anita Bower
01-28-2014, 06:23 PM
This image brought a huge smile to my face. :-) I think the position of the bird, the angle of its head and bright color are such happy elements. This is a case in which not having a longer lens allowed you to have the perfect image for this theme.

Judy Howle
01-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Thanks everyone! I always loved this image and it looks a lot better with my filter work than it did SOOC. I got it matted today and taking it and 7 others to the Gallery tomorrow. I'm just matting them and using clear bags to keep my cost and the prices down.

Jackie Schuknecht
01-29-2014, 11:04 AM
There is something very comical about that bird, he is challenging you to a staring contest! That red really makes him stand out. Love it!

Anita Bower
02-03-2014, 07:59 AM
Congratulations on second place.