PDA

View Full Version : Posting Of A Snowy Owl On Post With Snow.

Daniel Cadieux
01-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Try saying that three times quickly! This is the owl that Gail has dubbed "Clementine". Although flight shots are spectacular and fun, nice poses on perches are equally rewarding. There is not much to work with when it comes to dark backgrounds in this spot, but here she perched in front of a distant patch of evergreens. A small patch too as we needed to align ourselves perfectly to avoid getting some white sky creeping in on either side and top. Even then I need to fill in a small gap in upper left corner with the clone tool. I t was serendipitous that she perched there while it snowed to make those flakes visible...

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/4, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, FF, baited. I thought about removing the metal wire but I like the added rustic look it gives...and so it remains...

Bret Goddard
01-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Looks very nice to me, the detail in the little tufts around the feet is sweet, the snow and that post make it sweeter too. If anything, it looks a bit bright in the face but thats likely me, I tend to underexpose all the time, Grand job, congrats!

Sidharth Kodikal
01-26-2014, 03:59 PM
Superb, Dan. The falling snow sets the mood. Love the stare and the interesting background. The perch is excellent. Glad you left the metal wire.
I can't explain why, but I'm loving your "unconventional" bird placement. It's probably the oof dark stuff in the bg (trees?) that balances it so nicely, and I'm glad you retained that instead of going vertical.
Love it.

John Robinson
01-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Not many peching snowies but thats one o the best I reckon, Like the perch and the reverse stare.
Good stuff.
John

gail bisson
01-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Just terrific! The snow and the direct gaze are wonderful. Techs are spot on,
Gail
Clementine would approve of this portrait!

stuart wanuck
01-26-2014, 06:11 PM
it rocks!

Sandy Witvoet
01-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Perfect! Just enough snowflakes, beautiful darkish BG, (the blending of colors back there is wonderful) fantastic pose on the edge of the post.... glad you left the wire in. BTW.... Owl is over the top too!

Grace Scalzo
01-26-2014, 08:50 PM
Real pretty image. Goes to prove that backgrounds are worth paying attention to as this one so perfectly sets off the bird.

Glenn Conlan
01-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Very dramatic. Love the dark BG and falling snow. Perch is super, excellent exposure control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enrique Patino
01-26-2014, 10:01 PM
I like it Daniel. Your snowies look so white! ;) TFS

David Salem
01-27-2014, 01:08 AM
Great stare right at us and the look back pose is beautiful. I like the whole scene and the falling snow really adds allot. The exposure looks right on as the owl is very clean and white. Nice comp too.

dankearl
01-27-2014, 01:10 AM
I will be glad when this winter is over and you all can quit doing this to us……..

Really like the BG, really goes well with the Owl.

keith mitchell
01-27-2014, 03:30 AM
Hi Daniel ,agree with Grace re the BG it really does add a lot to what is a great looking image.

Keith.:S3:

arash_hazeghi
01-28-2014, 02:37 AM
very cool Dan the snow has made this one really dramatic. I might clone up the wire but I see your explanation for rusty feel

great work