View Full Version : Red-headed woodpecker

Judy Howle
01-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Canon 20D, 2007, f/6.3, ISO 200, 1/250s, 300 mm, -.7EV

gail bisson
01-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Hi Judy,
This is a great image.
terrific BG, nice diagonal line from the perch and perfect HA with a lovely view of the feet.
Considering the gear you had back in 2007 the IQ is still topnotch. I like the comp-not too tight and not too loose- Goldilocks would approve!
I think I see a bit of a blue cast in the blacks and whites (easy fix in color balance)

Joseph Przybyla
01-26-2014, 12:44 PM
I agree great image. I envy you, this bird I have not captured yet. Gail mentioned a blue cast to the blacks and whites, it appears that way on my display also.

Stu Bowie
01-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Hi Judy, striking colours, good DOF, and overall well exposed and sharp. The vertical comp was the only way to go, and the diagonal perch going through the frame works well. I too see the blues, but as Im unfamiliar with this species, I cant say if it should be there or not.

Judy Howle
01-26-2014, 12:57 PM
Thanks to all for the comments! There was a strong blue cast in the original. It shows up in other photos of red heads too. I toned it way down with hue/sat but left a little as I liked it, but I could probably get rid of all of it. Maybe it's just the lighting? This bird and it's mate came to my suet feeder all the time for several years, and sometimes brought their offspring. The young crepe myrtle tree is close to the feeders, and is only about 20 ft or so from my open window that I used as a blind so I have lots of pretty close images of various birds and many of woodpeckers, but even at that distance they are cropped a good bit. I am re-processing a lot of the old images as I have time.

vishaljadhav
01-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Superb IQ and a nicely composed.
The exposure is nice too

keith mitchell
01-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Judy looks to have real quality to me, nice colours and very sharp must say the bit of blue does not detract from a very nice image.

Keith.:S3:

Daniel Cadieux
01-26-2014, 02:21 PM
An oldie but goodie eh! Love this species, but there is only one place around the Ottawa area (that I know of) that has a pair...and its a fair drive away, so I love seeing them posted online. For me I do feel the comp a tad tight, wishing for a bit more top and right, but all else looks good to me.

Grace Scalzo
01-26-2014, 08:55 PM
Sweet image of a most desired species in my book. You did well with a tough exposure.

Glenn Conlan
01-26-2014, 10:01 PM
Very striking, nice color detail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bret Goddard
01-27-2014, 05:49 AM
One of my dreams, beautiful Red-Head!