PDA

View Full Version : Ring-necked Duck

Bill Dix
01-26-2014, 11:16 AM
There's something about the eye of these birds that gives them a slightly sinister look. On this one, the misshapen upper mandible adds to the effect, giving him a bit of a sneer. Waited for a wing flap but never got one.

D7000, 700mm, ISO 800, 1/2500s @ f/7.1 manual.

gail bisson
01-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Hi Bill.
I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the sneer and the slightly sinister eye.
This is a solid image because of the low POV, the IQ and the perfect exposure. You have brought out the iridescence perfectly.
I might take a bit off the top but as always composition is up to the artist!
Gail

Bret Goddard
01-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Hello Bill,
A beautiful shot. I found two of these recently and could not catch them nearly as nice, Grand job.

Joseph Przybyla
01-26-2014, 12:40 PM
One of my favorite ducks nicely shown. The low angle is super ( mental not to self... must work on that).

Bill I noticed in your post regarding my Limpkin you said it was on your list. If you ever get to central Florida, Circle B Bar Reserve has many, sometimes so many they scurry out of the way as one walks.

Stu Bowie
01-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Hi Bill, well exposed, and the light has shown up the different colours of iridescence nicely. I like the blue of the water too. Maybe a little off the top.

Bill Dix
01-26-2014, 12:53 PM
One of my favorite ducks nicely shown. The low angle is super ( mental not to self... must work on that).

Bill I noticed in your post regarding my Limpkin you said it was on your list. If you ever get to central Florida, Circle B Bar Reserve has many, sometimes so many they scurry out of the way as one walks.

Thank you Joe. That's a great tip; I'll bookmark it. I tried Harns Marsh once, where they're supposed to be, but it was mid-day and I struck out.

Holger Leyrer
01-26-2014, 01:34 PM
Nice image Bill.
Perfect low angle and exposure control. Like the iridescence and drops in the plumage. The little waves and BG works very well.

vishaljadhav
01-26-2014, 01:54 PM
lovely exposure and a great looking water

Daniel Cadieux
01-26-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm willing to bet it flapped its wings less than a minute after you gave up and weren't looking anymore:S3:. Great duck, love the eye. Awesome water colour and wavelets. The detail on top of the head looks top notch, but not sure what happened to the rest of the face and neck..the details are all smoothed out in those areas.

dankearl
01-27-2014, 01:14 AM
Superb IQ and details, Bill.
I don't know I have seen them done better….